ASCSU discusses legal meetings, agenda procedure

Graphic illustration of the ASCSU senate chambers at Colorado State University. Text states "ASCSU Coverage"
(Graphic Illustration by Christine Moore-Bonbright | The Collegian)

The Associated Students of Colorado State University met Nov. 3 for their 10th session of the semester. ASCSU debated procedure, heard a presentation on parliamentary procedure and heard reports from the executive and judicial branches and senators.

The agenda for the meeting was not sent out in advance because it wasn’t approved by the legislative cabinet. Several senators debated whether the agenda should be approved due to this.

“During this entire time, no new legislation was even introduced or actively spoken about to benefit the student body which we serve,” Senator Stephen Laffey said. “I’d like to point out this is not in the least reflective of a professional, organized body, which our constituents deserve.”

“I think we forget that we’re all working towards one goal, and that’s to represent everybody who can’t be here.” – Bailey Reeves, associate senator for the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

Senator Alex Silverhart said part of the issue is that the senate is still developing despite being most of the way through the semester.

“I feel like part of this lack of communication on the senate floor is part of the reason why we are still in this stage,” Silverhart said. “We are not moving at a pace that is beneficial to the students.”

Other senators, including Bailey Reeves, associate senator for the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, spoke of the importance of ASCSU working together.

“I think we forget that we’re all working towards one goal, and that’s to represent everybody who can’t be here,” Reeves said. “So don’t forget that we’re all working as one team to get something done because I feel like lots of times we forget that.”

ASCSU also discussed whether votes at their meeting were legal because they didn’t take roll call at the beginning. Jackson Hunter, ASCSU parliamentarian, said the votes should be considered legal, as they maintained quorum, evidenced by a roll call taken later meetings.

Hunter then gave a presentation on parliamentary procedure and an overview of ASCSU. The presentation included definitions of words related to ASCSU, and information on motions, amendments and debate.

Hunter also presented on bill writing, speaking on the difference between bills, resolutions and lexes and what each piece of legislation must have. He also spoke on how CSU President Joyce McConnell, CSU Chancellor Tony Frank and any other relevant parties receive legislation.

ASCSU voted to postpone confidence business, which included four pieces of legislation that were on the schedule for the night.

Reach Piper Russell at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @PiperRussell10