Westfall residents asked to relocate to create quarantine spaces

The Laurel village dorm Alpine with Durward and Westfall
Laurel Village with Durward and Westfall halls in the background March 7. (Devin Cornelius | Collegian)

On Sept. 15, 65 students living on the top two floors of Westfall Hall at Colorado State University were notified they would need to relocate to make space for COVID-19 isolation rooms. 

The 11th and 12th floors of Westfall are being cleared in order to increase room for students in quarantine, Interim Director of Communications and Sustainability for Housing & Dining Services Marianne Wieghaus said. According to Laura Giles, associate executive director of CSU Housing & Dining Services, Westfall has been chosen for multiple reasons.

Giles said students received communications over the summer that Westfall was a temporary housing situation, as there were plans for renovations. However, as enrollments increased, the renovations were postponed, and finding immediate housing for students became a priority. 

The Pandemic Preparedness Team currently has sufficient space for students who live on campus to isolate or quarantine in a residence hall. The additional space in Westfall is a contingency plan.” –Marianne Wieghaus, Interim Director of Communications and Sustainability 

In addition, each floor in Westfall has its own ventilation system, which supports the safety of other students living in the residence hall. The remaining students at Westfall will not need to relocate, according to Giles. 

Giles said the majority of the impacted students have already transitioned to their new living quarters. Wieghaus said that less than 10 students remain on the 11th and 12th floors and added that there is not currently a plan to move more students. 

The Pandemic Preparedness Team currently has sufficient space for students who live on campus to isolate or quarantine in a residence hall,” Wieghaus said. “The additional space in Westfall is a contingency plan.”

Wieghaus added that the majority of students being relocated have chosen to move to other dormitories. 

“Most residents moved to buildings other than Westfall,” Wieghaus said. “This is largely based upon student preferences to move to another building, room type and cost or keeping roommates together who wish to be.”

According to a press release released on Oct. 9 by the Larimer County Department of Health & Environment, hospitals in the county are above capacity.

Larimer County intensive care unit utilization is at 105% capacity, with 40% of this number being made up of COVID-19 patients, according to the press release. The department expressed concern for the trend of increased cases paired with the approaching influenza season. 

“We are working closely with the Pandemic Preparedness Team to ensure guidelines are being followed,” Giles said. 

Giles said that in order to ensure the safety of other students, those diagnosed with COVID-19 are talked to about behavioral adjustments and cleaning procedures are increased. She said students should be masked at all times indoors in common areas. Students in isolation are allowed to go out for walks but should adhere to public safety guidelines. 

Students experiencing COVID-19 symptoms should utilize the CSU online COVID-19 reporter.

Brooke Pippin can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @BrookePippin00.