CSU Homecoming returns with new changes for safety

With a new school year and relaxed COVID-19 guidelines, Colorado State University Homecoming is back with festivities that both current and former Rams are sure to enjoy. 

Last year’s Homecoming events were toned down in order to keep the community safe in light of COVID-19, with a limited and mostly virtual experience. This year, however, the CSU Alumni Association has worked to ensure the safety of attendees while planning events to celebrate the annual Homecoming. 

According to Amy Jo Miller, director of marketing and communications for the CSU Alumni Association, many Homecoming events take place outside, so it was easier for the team to plan around safety guidelines. 

“We kind of charged forward with knowing (events would be outside) and knowing that things need to be fluid and flexible because this is an ever-changing situation,” Miller said. “We kind of just went for it and made adjustments as needed.” 

Miller explained that events such as the traditional lighting of the “A,” the bonfire and the Homecoming pep rally will all take place as usual and will be held outside to ensure safety. 

Homecoming is just one of those traditions that (is) firmly rooted in who we are at CSU, and it’s that chance for Rams to come back home to campus and to celebrate the green and gold together.” –Amy Jo Miller, director of marketing and communications for the CSU Alumni Association 

According to the CSU Pandemic Preparedness Team, outdoor events are permitted to be held at 100% capacity, and as of Aug. 9, an event approval process is required. 

As of Oct. 2, CSU had 23,869 students on campus who are fully or partially vaccinated, amounting to 88.3% of the on-campus community. 

Some events, such as the Distinguished Alumni Awards, are back this year after being “taken off the docket” during last year’s festivities, Miller said. 

“Those are such high-level awards that we felt they really needed to wait until we could be in person again to celebrate them adequately,” Miller said. 

In addition, new members of the 50 Year Club — which consists of alumni who graduated from CSU 50 or more years ago — were inducted by mail last year, so this year’s luncheon will celebrate the class of 1971 as well as the class of 1970, according to the 50 Year Club webpage. 

For students who have yet to experience a true CSU Homecoming, such as current freshmen or sophomores, Miller described the tradition as “incredibly special.” 

“It just gives me goosebumps to talk about it,” Miller said. “Homecoming is just one of those traditions that (is) firmly rooted in who we are at CSU, and it’s that chance for Rams to come back home to campus and to celebrate the green and gold together.” 

As a reminder, CSU public health guidelines require masks in all indoor spaces, including within Canvas Stadium. 

A full list of 2021 Homecoming events can be found on the CSU Homecoming and Family Weekend website, and more information regarding the CSU Alumni Association can be found on the organization’s site. 

Natalie Weiland can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @natgweiland.