CSU to resume on-campus operations for fall 2021

Colorado State University students will come back to campus for in-person learning next fall. 

CSU President Joyce McConnell announced this morning in an email to CSU students, staff and faculty that on-campus operations, paused due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will resume for the fall 2021 semester. 

According to the email, in-person classes, labs and seminars will be available to students in addition to flexible remote and hybrid learning opportunities. The University will follow and post Larimer County Department of Health and Environment protocols, adhere to physical distancing guidelines as well as maintaining hygienic supply stations in on-campus facilities. 

According to McConnell’s message, the CSU Pandemic Preparedness Team and the University will continue collaboration with county, state and national health officials to monitor the spread of COVID-19 as well as its newer variants and reassess campus operations accordingly. 

Wastewater testing of residence halls and campus buildings, contact tracing and rigorous testing will continue during the fall 2021 semester. Screening for COVID-19 in the student body will occur in the form of frequent testing via CSU’s ongoing saliva screening protocol as well as nasal swab tests when appropriate, the email said. 

Regarding the vaccine, McConnell wrote, “As the COVID-19 vaccine distribution continues, we will work with local and national health officials to adjust our public health protocols appropriately to follow best practices.”

McConnell commended students, staff and faculty for rising to the challenge of virtual learning and campus operations and assured incoming students that they will be able to build a sense of community at CSU through residence hall activities and seminars. The University will continue to follow new developments regarding the pandemic and make changes as they see fit. 

“And like many of you, we are eagerly looking ahead to a brighter future,” McConnell wrote.

Noelle Mason can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter at @noellemaso.