B/AACC plans Black History Month events

man speaking at podium
DeJuan Chapa welcomes guests to the 2020 B/AACC Black History Month Kick-Off on Jan. 31, 2020. (Megan McGregor | The Collegian)

February marks Black History Month in the United States, when many take to remembering important people and events in African American history. Colorado State University’s Black/African American Cultural Center has planned multiple events to celebrate the month. 

Real Talk series

The B/AACC’s Real Talk series will take place every Tuesday at 4 p.m. throughout the month.

This February, the series includes “I’m Black & I’m Proud” on Feb. 2, “What is Love?: Black College Relationships” on Feb. 9, “Black Activism: Where are YOU?” on Feb. 16 and “We are ONE,” a collaboration with African’s United and Black Student Alliance, on Feb. 23. 

All the talks will take place over Zoom.

Being Black & series

The B/AACC has put together events every Thursday that will highlight the diversity of being Black, according to the B/AACC website.

The series includes “Being Black & Educated” on Feb. 4, “Being Black & Religiouson Feb. 11, “Being Black & a Young Adult/Professional” on Feb. 18 and “Being Black & African/Islander” on Feb. 25. 

All events will take place over Zoom. 

Keynote speaker

The B/AACC has called Wesley Hamilton to give a speech on Feb. 17 at 6 p.m. According to the B/AACC website, Hamilton will talk about his life after becoming paralyzed. 

“He’s an award-winning athlete, entrepreneur, influencer and awesome father,” the website reads. “(Hamilton’s) story will not only inspire you but also will change your perspective on life and how everyone can find their passion.”

The speech will take place over Zoom, with a link stated to be available soon on the B/AACC website.

Luncheon

The B/AACC has also planned a luncheon at the Aspen Grille on Feb. 11 and 12. According to the B/AACC website, the menu will consist of corn bread and honey butter along with a choice of Carolina style pulled chicken sandwich or a fried catfish sandwich with remoulade, with sides and dessert. 

Those interested can call 970-491-7006 for takeout and dine-in options.

Another luncheon with Black faculty, staff and students will take place on Feb. 3 at 11:30 a.m. over Zoom

Additional events

In addition to weekly events throughout February, the B/AACC has planned multiple other events to celebrate the month. 

“From Generation to Generation — The Role of Spirituality in the Struggle for Justice with Arisson Stanfield and Pastor (David) Williams of Abyssinian Christian Church” will take place on Feb. 21 at 3 p.m. over Zoom.

Partnered with El Centro and the Pride Resource Center, the B/AACC will host Bachata Nights on Feb. 23 and 24 at 6:30 p.m. Those interested will register with B/AACC closer to the event. 

“Africans United & Black Student Alliance Present: Africa Night” is on Feb. 27 at 6 p.m. via Instagram Live. The live will take place through @africansunitedcsu.

“United Women of Color Presents: The Hair Show” is on Feb. 28 at 5 p.m. 

For more information about the events, those interested can email the B/AACC at baacc_email@mail.colostate.edu or call 970-491-5781.

Ceci Taylor can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @cecelia_twt.