ASCSU 49th senate holds last meeting, passes 4 pieces of legislation

Editor’s note: Josh Johnson is a member of Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation’s Board of Directors. RMSMC is the parent company of The Collegian, but the Board of Directors does not oversee content of The Collegian or make editorial decisions of The Collegian.

The Associated Students of Colorado State University held their last meeting of the semester on Wednesday night.

During this meeting, four pieces of legislation were discussed and voted on. All pieces of business — three resolutions and one bill — passed. 

At the beginning of the meeting, President Ben Amundson gave the senate some parting thoughts for the semester.

“I want to share with y’all what I’m most proud of this year, my biggest regret of the year and one piece of advice to end it all,” Amundson said.

If you strive to be more like Josh Johnson every day in your life, you’re gonna see yourself skyrocketing.”-ASCSU President Ben Amundson

Amundson said he was proud of the way the senate and cabinet have grown throughout the year.

“We’re here to serve students, but we tend to forget we’re also students,” Amundson said. “Us growing and learning and developing is serving students.”

His biggest regret was not having the time to personally meet and get to know everyone in the senate. Amundson said he hopes he’ll still be able to connect with them in the future.

For his last piece of advice, Amundson told the senate to follow one rule, no matter what problem they have in life — be more like Senator Josh Johnson.

“If you strive to be more like Josh Johnson every day in your life, you’re gonna see yourself skyrocketing,” Amundson said.

Resolution 4918: In support of Raise The Bar

Director of University Affairs Sam Stoltz presented a new resolution asking for ASCSU’s endorsement of the Raise The Bar program, a bystander intervention training program for Fort Collins bars, restaurants and breweries. Stoltz said this program aims to reduce the rate of sexual violence in the community.

“My goal for this is that ASCSU tasks the 2020-21 administration with informing CSU students on what bars and breweries are trained on bystander intervention,” Stoltz said.

According to the resolution, ASCSU will work with the Sexual Assault and Victim Advocate Center and the Women and Gender Advocacy Center, to provide a safe community for CSU students.

The resolution passed unanimously. 

Bill 4933: COVID-19 hygiene support

Senator Kalyn Bonn’s bill to provide funding to Rams Against Hunger passed unanimously.

“I appreciate that this bill has come forward, and I think this is gonna really be helpful for the students who are still on campus,” Senator Kyle Hill said.

The original bill asked for $15,000 to allow Rams Against Hunger to add personal care, hygiene and cleaning products to their pantries. 

In committee, this amount was changed to $35,000 to allow for Rams Against Hunger to provide these supplies for the next two years.

Resolution 4916: Support for improved graduate student climate and mental health

Presented last week by Senators Zaria Vick and Amanda Koch, this resolution asks for greater awareness around the inclusivity, diversity, mentorship and mental health of the graduate student body.

University Affairs Committee Chair Christian Dykson said this resolution is part of an ongoing conversation about the University’s role in fostering inclusivity and helping graduate students feel valued.

“I see this as the first of many milestones in supporting our graduate students,” Dykson said.

Bonn also said that the needs and requirements for a graduate student are different than for an undergraduate, so she asked for support for the resolution.

The resolution passed unanimously. 

Resolution 4917: ProctorU and Respondus privacy concerns

Last week, Dykson presented a resolution about student privacy rights with Senators Andy Callas and Marie Cusick. While last week’s discussion included Respondus, Dykson said the new resolution looks only at ProctorU, as there’s more evidence against the latter’s invasion of student privacy.

Dykson also said that the resolution was sent to the provost and Faculty Council and that the new resolution addresses responses from them. 

Dykson said the University said students have the choice to use the programs, but he doesn’t agree with this.

“We don’t have the opportunity to choose if our GPA depends on it,” Dykson said. “That’s not true consent.”

The resolution urges the administration to end their contract with ProctorU once the current cycle is done. It also asks for the administration to remain in contact about the programming they decide to use.

Senator Hill expressed concerns about students being able to cheat if ProctorU is no longer used.

“We cannot have anybody cheat their way through college, as that is not fair to the students who do work hard for college,” Hill said. “It is a clear and present danger to allow students the opportunity to cheat.”

In response, Senator Michael Carrillo said professors should be able to make exams that students can’t google the answers for and that professors are already doing this.

The resolution passed with a 27-0-1 vote.

Charlotte Lang can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @chartrickwrites.