ASCSU passes next year’s student fees, discusses new business

During their Wednesday meeting, the Associated Students of Colorado State University went over new business, passing one resolution on tuition readjustment. The final student fee package for the next academic year was also discussed and passed.

Student fee package presented to senate

ASCSU Vice President Alexandra Farias discussed the Student Fee Review Board’s final numbers for the 2021 fiscal year.

The bill was expedited and passed unanimously.

According to the presentation, eight areas will be seeing no increase in the upcoming academic year. These areas are athletics, Campus Recreation, Adult Learner and Veteran Services, RamEvents, the University Center for the Arts, Committee for Disabled Student Accessibility, Alternative Transportation Advisory Board and ASCSU.

Farias said areas seeing mandatory increases will be the Health Network, the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement office, Off-Campus Life, RamRide, Student Resolution Center, Career Center, Student Legal Services, Lory Student Center, Interpersonal Violence, University Facility Fee Advisory Board and University Technology Fee Advisory Board.

“The intent of tonight, as you have heard many times, is not for me to lay out all the things offered by every single fee area,” Farias said. “It’s to help you understand more about student fees. We’re very lucky to have a board like SFRB because most schools will just charge a service fee.”

The vote on the package confirms the senate’s confidence that SFRB performed their job correctly throughout the semester.

The total fee increase is 1.52%, resulting in an $18.79 increase in student fees for full-time, on-campus students, Farias said.

Resolution 4932: COVID-19 CSU tuition readjustment 

Among the legislation discussed was a resolution by Senator Peyton Dailey asking for the Board of Governors of CSU and President Joyce McConnell to provide tuition readjustments for students enrolled for in-person classes for the spring and summer semesters of 2020. This resolution follows the University’s decision to transition to online classes. 

People are demanding tuition and student fees from the universities already. I think timing is a very key component with this resolution when it comes to fees.”-Senator Kyle Hill

The resolution passed unanimously.

According to the resolution, this readjustment is necessary “due to the lowered levels of education being offered to students as a result of the University transition to online courses in response to COVID-19.”

Dailey said the CSU administration has self-identified the difference in the overall learning experience for students in light of the shift to remote learning and has stated that, while online learning is conducive to most coursework, it does not encompass all of it.

Dailey listed various areas dependent on hands-on learning. These include labs, performing and visual arts, languages, dance, music, social work, soil and crop science, zoological sciences and many other subjects that she said cannot be taught to the same degree of academic rigor within an online forum.

According to the resolution, other public universities are offering discounted spring and summer tuition and fee rates. An example of this from Louisiana State University shows a 15% reduction.

“We do not have much time left in our senate sessions,” Senator Kyle Hill said. “Also, people are demanding tuition and student fees from the universities already. I think timing is a very key component with this resolution when it comes to fees.”

COVID-19 hygiene support, graduate student mental health and ProctorU privacy concerns

Three other pieces of legislation were discussed and sent to committees to be prepared for next week’s meeting.

Bill 4933, written by Senator Kalyn Bonn, asks for $15,000 from the Senate Discretionary Fund to go to stocking pocket pantries and mobile food pantries with personal, cleaning and hygiene products through Rams Against Hunger.

This bill was sent to the Budgetary Affairs Committee.

Resolution 4916, written by Senator Zaria Vick, focuses on bringing awareness to the student body, faculty and administration of CSU that appropriate mentorship, diversity, inclusivity and good mental health as imperative cornerstones to the graduate student body. 

“We just kind of wanted to highlight all of the issues that graduate students go through,” Vick said. “We have this ambiguous role at the university level. We’re considered students, but a large majority of us are at a time where we have families and stuff like that.”

The resolution was sent to the University, Internal and External Affairs Committees.

The final resolution from the night came from Senators Andy Callas, Christian Dykson and Marie Cusick. This resolution stands in solidarity with students concerned about privacy issues with ProctorU and Respondus. The resolution asks for the University to find alternatives more consistent with the CSU Principles of Community.

“We recognize that there’s a breach of student security,” Dykson said. “We recognize that that’s an important value for our community. We can’t stand idly by and let that happen. This is at the expense of student security, and they have to engage with these students because it has an impact on their grade.”

The resolution was sent to the Internal and External Affairs Committees.

Charlotte Lang can be reached news@collegian.com or on Twitter @ChartrickWrites.