TEDxCSU 2020 event coming to campus Saturday

Members of the Colorado State University community will be giving their very own “TED Talks” this Saturday on subjects ranging from marginalization to education at the annual TEDxCSU conference. 

TEDxCSU is an independently organized event under the Technology, Entertainment and Design brand. These local series are intended to “uncover new ideas and the latest research in their local areas and spark conversations in their communities,” according to the TED website.

Tickets can be purchased online. They are $5 for CSU students and staff and $20 for the general public.

The event will take place in the Lory Student Center Theatre and Grand Ballroom. Talks will be given at 11:00 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:45 p.m., according to the tentative online schedule

A detailed schedule is not yet available, but TEDxCSU has provided a list of speakers and their session titles. 

• “Educating Students with Different Kinds of Minds” Temple Grandin (animal sciences professor)
  • “The Mental Tuition of Marginalization” — Janaye Matthews (student and an organizer of the #NotProudToBe movement)
  • “Are You a Man or a Woman? … I’m BLACK” — Patrice Palmer (academic adviser in the College of Business)
  • “The Value of an Opportunity” — Robert Wiggins (student)
  • “Lessons From My Ethical, Non-Monogamous Household” — Luna Martinez (alumni)
  • “Affecting Change in the Clothing Industry: A Tale of a Paralympic Athlete and Novel Product Design” — Kayna Hobbs (graduate student)
  • “Decriminalizing Our Elementary School Boys of Color” — Vincent Basile (assistant professor in the School of Education)
  • “How We’ll Feed the Future” — Kristin Kirkpatrick (executive director for the Center for an Enhanced Workforce in Agribusiness)
  • “From Shame to Pride — and Everything in Between” — Kris Barz Mendonça (designer in Creative Services)

Samantha Ye can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @samxye4.