ASCSU discusses resolution supporting Hong Kong’s democracy

During its last meeting of the semester, the Associated Students of Colorado State University discussed new legislation, suggesting a denunciation of China and Hong Kong’s governments in light of violence against its citizens.

The senate also heard about proposals for future building renovations.

Resolution 4911: In Support of the Hong Kong Freedom Fighters

Senator Ethan Burshek brought a new resolution to the senate floor, proposing for ASCSU to support the citizens of Hong Kong by condemning the governments of Hong Kong and China for human rights violations.

The resolution was sent to the External Affairs Committee. 

This resolution specifically looks to reach out to CSU students from Hong Kong, as well as students with friends and family in Hong Kong, in order to offer any support or assistance they may need.

Burshek presented the resolution as a call to action in supporting the students affected by what’s happening in the Hong Kong area. He said ASCSU should do anything they can to help these students get through this trying time.

I initially thought that it was an act of solidarity. However, I don’t see that anymore.” – ASCSU Senator Jaquikeyah Fields

The resolution also asked for ASCSU to “officially petition the University and all funding review boards to take every action — right and legal — in order to cut ties with the government of the People’s Republic of China in light of the government’s aforementioned many crimes against its own citizens and its neighbors.”

There was a motion to get rid of the resolution due to concerns the resolution came from a biased or privileged place.

“I initially thought that it was an act of solidarity,” Senator Jaquikeyah Fields said. “However, I don’t see that anymore. I just see rhetoric that is trying to place a hegemony over non-white bodies.”

Other senators spoke against the concerns, stating ASCSU has an obligation to support those fighting for freedom.

“I think, personally at least, that it’s a horrific misuse of our privileged position as a people living in a first-world country that have the ability to condemn this kind of oppression against minority groups to not speak out against them,” Senator Jacob Sappwood said.

The motion to table the resolution failed.

Executive reports on building renovations

President Ben Amundson presented the possibility of new building renovations on campus.

man holds poster upside down
President Ben Amundson accidentally holds a poster upside down while giving his executive report to the Associated Students of Colorado State University on Dec. 11. Among other things, Amundson told the senate that the notorious Clark Building has plans to be renovated in the future. (Ryan Schmidt | The Collegian)

He said renovations for the Clark Building would be one of the primary focuses.

“Financing has not been approved on our side,” Amundson said. “But the University Facilities Fee Advisory Board has said that this is a project we want to look at.”

Plans for the Clark Building currently have concept designs, though nothing has been confirmed.

A new building for biomedical students would also be included in the project, Amundson said.

“Every year, we turn away 200 students on average from that program who are more than qualified to be in that program just because we don’t have the classroom space for them,” Amundson said. “So, this would be really special in retaining students and bringing them here.”

There would also be a portion of the project for engineering students and general lecture space.

Currently, these projects would require a $5 increase per credit on student fees. 

Charlotte Lang can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @chartrickwrites.