Freddy’s to replace Carl’s Jr. in LSC

Following the expiration of Carl’s Jr.’s lease in the food court of the Lory Student Center and its subsequent closure this past summer, a new fast food player is making its way to the vacant space: Freddy’s Frozen Custard & Steakburgers.

“I don’t care about Carl’s Jr.; I’m excited about Freddy’s,” said Connor Hackett, a junior communication studies major at Colorado State University. “I love Freddy’s. It’s a good fast food chain. I don’t eat fast food that often, but when I do, that’s my go-to.”

The addition of Freddy’s to the LSC food court was announced in an email sent to LSC directors by Emily Ambrose, assistant director of training and development at the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement office at the LSC.

They have really good steakburgers, and the quality of their food tastes pretty fresh and really nice.” -Connor Hackett, junior communication studies major, CSU

In her email, Ambrose said Freddy’s will open during the spring semester of 2020.

“Freddy’s reminds me of Steak ‘n Shake back when I used to live in Chicago,” Hackett said. “They have really good steakburgers, and the quality of their food tastes pretty fresh and really nice.”

With locations in 32 states throughout the United States, Freddy’s is known for its varieties of steakburgers, frozen custard, sundaes, hot dogs and chicken sandwiches.

Currently, the closest Freddy’s locations near CSU are in Timnath on Weitzel Street near I-25 exit 265 and in Loveland at West 64th Street near U.S. Route 287. 

Though some people are excited about this new addition to the LSC food court, others are not as happy.

Michael Puglisi, company owner at 3rd Eye Focused in Fort Collins and active participant in CSU’s Psychedelic Club, said Freddy’s is tasty as far as fast food chains go, but he believes there should be a healthier option at the food court for students.

I think that they should have a healthier choice instead of bringing in a fast food chain.” -Michael Puglisi, company owner of 3rd Eye Focused

“Honestly, to keep it real, I’m a little older, (and) I think it’s a horrible idea,” Puglisi said. “I think that they should have a healthier choice instead of bringing in a fast food chain.”

The upcoming Freddy’s is just one of the several changes taking place in the LSC since last year, which include the opening of Fifty30 Elevated Eats, the movement of Fast Print and First National Bank to new locations and the formation of a new Canvas Credit Union office space.

Matt Bailey can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @MattBailey760.