$162 million donated to CSU in 4th best fiscal year on record

With over $162 million raised in donations during the 2018-19 fiscal year, Colorado State University surpassed its fundraising goals and celebrated its fourth most successful fiscal year on record. 

The earnings, which will go toward scholarships, research, infrastructure and other areas, heavily contributed to the “State Your Purpose” campaign which, launched in 2016, reached its goal of raising $1 billion by 2020 two years ahead of schedule. 

“Our generous donors believe in CSU and what our students, faculty and staff are doing,” said Kim Tobin, vice president for University Advancement. “They know the things we are working on and the students we are serving will change the world.” 

Under the new campaign slogan “Beyond a Billion,” nearly 130,000 donors pledged money during the campaign, with individual donation values ranging from $1 to multi-millions of dollars, Tobin said. 

Currently, more than $30 million of the $162 million donated pours into need- and merit-based scholarships. Furthermore, “Beyond a Billion” aims to create 150 new endowed scholarships in order to increase students’ access to the University, according to CSU’s campaign page.

Earnings of CSU's 2018-2019 fiscal year
Earnings of CSU’s 2018-2019 fiscal year

Students and faculty will also benefit through the improvement of campus facilities and infrastructure, to which $16 million was dedicated from the 2018-19 fiscal year alone.

The openings of the Translational Medicine Institute, the JBS Global Food Innovation Center and the Nancy Richardson Design Center all took place during the past fiscal year, according to a CSU SOURCE article published July 2019.

“Beyond a Billion” also commits to elevate the campus through the improvement of residence halls, classrooms and other spaces for students.

Other areas of funding include endowed positions, programs and research. Goals are growing in these areas as well, with “Beyond a Billion” aiming to create 15 new endowed positions by 2020, according to the campaign website.

The 2018-19 fiscal year brought in more than $8 million dollars for endowed positions, more than $52 million for programs and almost $56 million for research.

These totals will benefit a range of programs, such as the department of athletics, the College of Liberal Arts, University libraries, the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the College of Agricultural Sciences, according to the SOURCE article.

Tobin said the campaign’s success can be attributed to the Division of University Advancement.

We are successful thanks to CSU’s strong collaborative culture and partnerships with University leadership, deans, faculty and staff,” Tobin said.

The “Beyond a Billion” campaign comes to a close June 2020, right in time for CSU’s 150th anniversary.

Joey Wagner can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @joeyleewagner.