Operation Bear Hug to return on April 13

Operation Bear Hug returns to Colorado State University campus on Saturday for its third annual suicide awareness 5K.

The event is a 5K fun run with obstacles and games designed to teach teams about the struggles and challenges which a veteran at risk of suicide might face. The event was first started by a student veteran at CSU who had two friends commit suicide.

“Typical suicide awareness and prevention training occurs in a classroom environment,” said Acacia Mohr, vice president of the CSU chapter of Student Veterans Organization. “Operation Bear Hug is designed in a way that it takes the students out of the classroom environment and puts them outside in an environment that they are hopefully going to enjoy, they’ll have fun and they’ll work with their friends to get through this obstacle course.”

Mohr said they hope to break the record 150 participants from last year. Those who wish to participate can find registration information on Operation Bear Hug’s Facebook page, and they still have room to accept walk-ons.

Mohr recommends dressing for the weather and knowing your health information, as participants will have to fill out forms which include health insurance information.  

Those wishing to sign up for this year’s Operation Bear Hug can visit their Facebook page.

Ravyn Cullor can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @RCullor99.