ASCSU updates U+2, talks funding concert with $120,000 rollover

Associated Students of Colorado State University discussed a bill which would fund an end-of-year concert to counter the Undie Run, announced progress in the U+2 campaign and passed a resolution to convert to a New York Times digital subscription service Wednesday night.

Bill to use roll-over budget for end-of-year concert to deter students from participating in Undie Run

A bill was brought before the ASCSU Senate that would allocate $120,000 to $220,000 of their rollover budget to put on a free concert at the end of spring semester. The purpose of this concert would be to bring students together and to deter students from participating in the Undie Run, said ASCSU President Tristan Syron.

man speaks
ASCSU President Tristan Syron speaks about a bill asking to use $120,000 to $220,000 of rollover funds to host an on-campus, free, end of dead week concert. (Matt Tackett | Collegian)

Syron said his administration wants to clearly communicate their disapproval of the Undie Run and set a precedent across campus.

“I don’t have a problem with people running around in their underwear for the most part,” Syron said. “There’s how a perfect world is, and then there’s the reality of the situation, and the reality of the situation is sexual assaults go through the roof that day; the reality of the situation is that people are cat-called; the reality of the situation is there’s injuries.”

The details of the concert are unclear at this point, but tentative plans would schedule an on-campus concert the day of or the day after the Undie Run. Syron and his administration said they have meetings with Vice President of Student Affairs Blanche Hughes and other organizations on campus to discuss the logistics of a concert.

Senators asked about the effectiveness of the concert deterring students during a debate period. Some senators were also concerned with Syron’s belief that the event would cut down on assaults during that period.

The bill will go to the Budgetary and University Affairs Committees and return in next week’s Senate session.

U+2 makes progress in City Council

man speaks
ASCSU Director of Community Affairs Yuval Rosenthal gives an update on You+2 progress within city council to the ASCSU Senate. (Matt Tackett | Collegian)

ASCSU Director of Community Affairs Yuval Rosenthal announced during the Senate session that the Fort Collins City Council agreed to direct City staff and the City manager to look into revising occupancy codes on Tuesday.

“They’re not necessarily looking for an overall ordinance reform, but they do want to optimize our housing stock,” Rosenthal said. “We’re still going to be pressing more for across-the-board reform, but this is the first major step that we’ve seen in many, many years.”

He said the proposed change would consider allowing homes with four or more bedrooms to have more than three occupants.

Senate passes resolution supporting switch to digital copies of The New York Times

A resolution passed supporting the progression of negotiations to change the subscription of The New York Times, which is paid for by ASCSU, from paper copies to digital copies for anyone with an email under the @colostate.edu or @rams.colostate.edu domain.

man speaks
ASCSU Chief of Staff Zachary Vaishampayan answers questions about the resolution to approve the moving of the ASCSU – New York Times Deal to an online format. (Matt Tackett | Collegian)

Chief of Staff Zachary Vaishampayan said with this support from the Senate, when the new contract with The New York Times is finalized, paper copies will no longer be delivered.

Campus subscriptions will immediately be transferred online, allowing for access to over 30,000 digital copies, rather than the current 200 print editions available.

The specific date of the change is unknown at this time, Vaishampayan said. 

Ravyn Cullor can be reached at news@collegian.com or Twitter @RCullor99.