ASCSU Senate approves aprons for Interfaith Thanksgiving

From Thanksgiving aprons to educational beekeeping, the Associated Students of Colorado State University kept busy during their four-and-a-half hour session Wednesday night.

Interfaith Thanksgiving requests funds for aprons

ASCSU Women’s Caucus Chair Merall Sherif introduced a bill to the Senate to allocate $306 to CSU’s Multi-Faith and Belief Council’s Interfaith Thanksgiving Planning Committee in order to purchase 24 aprons for the dinner.

Interfaith Thanksgiving is an annual Thanksgiving dinner where people of CSU and Fort Collins can “celebrate the American tradition to come and bring together different faith groups,” Sherif said.

Due to the timeliness of the event, which will be held Nov. 7, the Senate expedited the bill and then passed it, in a vote of 33-1-2.

The aprons would be reused year after year in the interest of sustainability, Sherif said.

“This year we also started the conversation during their planning sessions of ‘how do we start to invest in this event for the future?’” Sherif said. “This event is growing. Every year we purchase supplies that are not sustainable, that are not friendly to the environment, and we’re creating a lot of waste during the event… this would be something we can use for the life of the event.”

Apiculture Club requests funding for new educational beehive 

Associated Students of Colorado State University Director of Campus Engagement Sam Braun and CSU Apiculture Club President Freddie Haberecht introduced a bill to the Senate Wednesday night that would fund a new campus beehive for educational purposes.

If passed, the bill would move $5,146.98 from the Senate discretionary fund to Facilities Management to build the hive.

“This new location would allow us to have a larger, more open, more conducive to learning space for our club members to learn about beekeeping,” Haberect said.

The location for the beehive has already been chosen, as Facilities Management has already secured land with CSU’s horticulture department for $1,000 per month. The plot would be south of campus, near the intersection of West Prospect Road and Center Avenue.

“This is a pretty big deal because it’s a research plot they’re letting us use because they believe that it is going to be a benefit for students,” Haberecht said.

The eventual aim of the hive would be to fund future expenses of CSU’s Apiculture club by the sale of products from the hive like honey and wax.

“We’ve been talking through different parties at CSU of people interested in honey,” Haberecht said. “Possibly dining centers purchasing honey, the Lory Student Center has talked about being interested in using honey… and then also the Ramskeller, there is some context there of maybe selling honey to them to brew beer.”

According to the bill, this is intended to ensure the longevity of the club and allow us to become a permanent leaning fixture on campus.

“Everybody’s buzzing about the Bee Bill,” said Blake Alfred, ASCSU director of marketing.

Stuart Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @stuartsmithnews.