Voluntary evacuation for 231-acre Seaman Fire lifted

Ravyn Cullor

The United States Forest Service has lifted the call for voluntary evacuation for the Smith Bridge area near the 231-acre Seaman Fire, according to the fire’s forest service incident page. 

Officials placed 11 Smith Bridge Road homes and outbuildings in the Poudre Canyon under voluntary evacuation starting Wednesday, following windy conditions which fanned the fire to over 138 acres.

The fire, which remains at 35 percent containment, was fairly inactive overnight, according to a press release issued by the Forest Service Friday morning. 

The Greyrock and Hewlett Gulch Trails, as well as the Gateway Park Natural Area, will remain closed until further notice, according to the release. There are currently no road closures. 

A small fire burns in the middle of the Seaman Fire burn damage Thursday evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

Low humidity and high temperatures are expected to continue Friday. Light smoke may also be visible from Fort Collins, though smoke from the Silver Creek Fire in Grand County is more visible along the Front Range, according to the Arapahoe Roosevelt National Forests & Pawnee National Grassland forest service (ARP). 

The fire, which was sparked by lightning on Tuesday, is located completely within the scar of the 2012 Hewlett Fire, burning grasses and small patches of Ponderosa Pine. It is approximately 12 miles northwest of Fort Collins. 

The response team Friday includes 120 firefighters, our helicopters and two air tankers, according to the release.

• A U.S. Forest Service member monitors the Seaman Fire Thursday Evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

• Firefighters sort through gear after monitoring the Seaman Fire Thursday evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

• The sun sets through smoke from the Seaman Fire Thursday evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

• The Seaman Fire burn damage Thursday evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

• A small fire burns in the middle of the Seaman Fire burn damage Thursday evening. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

• Firefighters sit atop and monitor the border of he Seaman Fire burn damage Thursday evening.

The 5,000 acre-feet reservoir is Greeley’s largest mountain reservoir. According to an email ARP representative Reid Armstrong sent to The Collegian, the forest service is working closely with water providers in the area to limit the impact to the Seaman Reservoir and intakes.

Ravyn Cullor can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @RCullor99.