Senate votes on new constitution, Tony Frank presents preliminary budget

In the first session following the 2017-2018 election, the Associated Students of Colorado State University Senate convened to cast the first vote on a new constitution, listen to a presentation on the budget from University President Tony Frank and discuss a joint-resolution pertaining to bias-motivated incidents.  

New ASCSU Constitution unanimously passes in first vote (23-0-0)

The Associated Students of Colorado State University voted on a new constitution, featuring an updated impeachment process, the redaction of executive sessions and clarified language. The Senate will vote again next week to officially ratify the constitution in a second vote. 

The new constitution aims at consolidating redundancies in the previous version and clarifying the defined roles of judicial, executive and legislative powers. Although the constitution remains largely unchanged beyond these clarifications, a major point of focus was amending the impeachment process with the help of Administration and University General Counsel, President Michael Wells said. 

Wells said the previous process was overcomplicated and took up much of the Senate’s time. As such, the new constitution aims to give more of the roles of investigation over to the Office of Equal Opportunity. 

President Wells also proposed a friendly amendment to remove all clauses regarding executive sessions, closed-door meetings intended to be closed to the general public and media. Wells said Jason Johnson, general counsel for CSU, recommended the amendment in regard to Colorado Sunshine Law. Constitution author Connor Cheadle accepted the amendment.  

President Tony Frank presents the updated preliminary budget

Colorado State University President Tony Frank spoke before ASCSU Senate to present the current, unfinished version of the Incremental Education in General budget and answer questions about University finances, priorities and long-term goals. 

Frank explained this budget changes annually in relation to state funding and tuition costs, and does not include direct funds such as research grants and philanthropic donations. The Administration anticipates a 3 percent resident undergrad tuition increase based on state funding for higher education as set by the Governor’s budget, as well as a corresponding 2.5 percent non-resident undergrad tuition set by the University, Frank said.

With these potential tuition increases in mind, Frank said ASCSU and the Student Fee Review Board’s role in setting student fees is a crucial component of the final budget that has yet to be finalized. 

“I understand that the overall fee increase looks like it is going to be under two percent,” Frank said. “We believe that’ll be in-line with a lot of our peers and what’s happening around the State as well.” 

Frank cited the 25 million dollars in need-based financial aid provided last year and said he believes it is the University’s long-term responsibility as a land-grant institution to balance both accessibility to Colorado residents and quality of the education provided. 

Frank said he believes the State’s approach to higher education funding, which emphasizes basic expenditure needs, leaves no room for improvement, but that investing in the future of the CSU is a priority.

“We’re proud of what we get done, we’re proud of how we are stewards of the taxpayer funds,” Frank said. “However … we should always expect that our dreams and aspirations are going to be greater than our available resources. If not, then we need greater dreams and aspirations.”

Joint-resolution addressing bias-motivated incidents presented to Senate

A joint-resolution between the Residence Hall Associated and ASCSU, written by RHA Director of Residential Events and Programs Wes Taylor and ASCSU Senator Tamera Breidenbach. 

The resolution previously passed unanimously in RHA Senate 25-0-0 and will come forward to the ASCSU Senate next week for a vote.

Breidenbach said the resolution intends to demonstrate both bodies formally acknowledge the bias-motivated incidents.

It also asks that at the end of each academic year, a formal report be released by the University including all incidents from that previous academic year. 

“We as a University need to grow and learn from our mistakes in addressing these bias-motivated incidents in the future,” Taylor said. “I know there are people who have left CSU because they have not felt supported.”

“This is a national problem, but we could be at the forefront of addressing these issues,” Breidenbach said.“We can make a difference on this campus and let students know that they have a voice in this space, and they are more than welcome to come and share it.”

Collegian reporter Natalia Sperry can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @natalia_sperry