SLiCE office, Campus Recreation propose fee increases

Representatives from Campus Recreation and the Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement (SLiCE) office presented their proposals for fee increases to the Student Fee Review Board on Monday afternoon.

A blonde woman with a packet in the middle of speaking and gesturing
Pamela Norris, director for SLICE, presents a fee increase proposal to the Student Fee Review Board Monday afternoon. (Brooke Buchan | Collegian)

Pamela Norris, director for SLiCE, led her organization’s proposal. Other present representatives included Office Manager Michele Frick and Herman Diaz, a member involved in marketing.

SLiCE’s proposal was for a 50 cent increase meant to cover mandatory costs. An example of these costs is mandatory salary increases.

“(The salary increase) is also a reflection of equity pay issues that we are addressing and have addressed over the past few years,” Norris said. “We’ve run studies of classifications of employees across campus and … we found we were paying less than what the range should have been. So, we are raising it to maintain that staff and to stay in line with what everyone else is paying.”

Areas covered by the group’s fund balance include emergency costs for alternative breaks, general office marketing, staff professional development opportunities and program enhancements or initiatives.

SLiCE did not ask for a fee increase last year. According to Norris, SLiCE benefits from many financial partners on campus, including a marketing partnership with the Lory Student Center.

Near the end of the presentation, Norris expressed a hope that SLiCE will not see a capacity of student groups or programs any time soon.

“I hope … students will come here with the most obscure, cool and random interest ever, find someone else who’s interested in it and then pursue it,” Norris said.

I hope … students will come here with the most obscure, cool and random interest ever, find someone else who’s interested in it and then pursue it.” Pamela Norris, director for SLiCE

Campus Recreation’s proposal was led by Executive Director Judy Muenchow with the help of other staff members, namely Director Cody Frye.

Muenhchow asked for a $2.73 increase due to mandatory costs for its two fees, the Student Recreation Center fee and the sports fee. Muenchow said Campus Recreation would not be asking for any other fee increases.

In terms of fund balance, Frye said the organization uses a 15-year plan for maintaining the building. He said it’s important for Campus Recreation to save money since the University does not pay for problems in the Rec Center.

He also told the board of future plans for Campus Recreation, which includes a plan to replace all field lights with LEDs to save energy and a major project to lower the fields five feet in order to retain stormwater.

The representatives provided a thorough presentation for the board with materials on student activity fee allocations per area. Currently, intramural sports and fitness programs are the largest areas of allocations.

When asked about feedback and how they use it, Muenchow said they use surveys, online suggestions boxes and focus groups. Muenchow said an example of using feedback is found in how the Rec Center keeps regular hours on game days, something those who use the Rec Center asked for.

At the end of the meeting, the board voted on the Ram Events and Lory Student Center proposals from before spring break. Both were approved.

Collegian reporter Charlotte Lang can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter as @ChartrickWrites.