Denver Airport site of protest against Trump’s immigration ban

This story has been updated. Find the full story here.

Has President Trump’s executive order impacted you or someone you know? Tell us your story by reaching out via Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Update, 12:00 p.m. — Denver7 reports that protests will continue at Denver International Airport during the afternoon Sunday, despite the emergency stay issued by Congress on Saturday. They will occur between noon and 5 p.m. in the main terminal.

Update, 10:40 a.m. — Several prominent people have turned out on Twitter to comment on the travel ban. 

“I stand with the people gathered across the country tonight defending our values  & our Constitution. This is not who we are,” tweeted Hillary Clinton.

“We will protect the rights and freedoms of UK nationals home and abroad,” tweeted Boris Johnson, Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs in the United Kingdom. “Divisive and wrong to stigmatise because of nationality.”

In an appearance Sunday morning on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Senator John McCain said the ban “in some areas will give Isis some more propaganda,” according to a report from The Guardian.

The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities issued a statement in response to the ban Saturday. 

The APLU is a research, policy, and advocacy organization of public research universities, land-grant institutions, state university systems, and higher education organizations; Colorado State University is a member.

“The most recent figures show that more than 17,000 students from the seven countries that this ban targets studied at U.S. universities during the 2015-16 school year,” the APLU statement reads. “With appropriate and effective vetting, international students from all countries and of all religions have long been a core part of our campus communities and that should continue uninterrupted.  We are also concerned that this decision adds great uncertainty to international students, researchers, and others who might consider coming to our campuses.”

Update, 7:48 p.m. — A federal judge added an emergency addendum to Trump’s executive order Saturday night, granting stays to travelers with valid visas who were in transit or already arrived in the U.S. at the time of the executive order, CNN reports.

Around 200 protesters gathered Saturday evening at Denver International Airport to protest President Trump’s executive order temporarily banning citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering into the U.S., several sources report. 

The affected countries are Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia and Libya.

The ban is set to last 90 days and includes those with dual citizenship as well as those who were born in the seven countries, but are now travelling with a passport issued by another country, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The Denver protest is one of nine happening at airports around the country.

Protestors demonstrate against President Trump’s executive order at Terminal D at DFW airport, Saturday, Jan. 28, in Dallas. (Brandon Wade/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)

Prior to the beginning of the protest at 5 p.m., Denver International Airport tweeted that its employees were aware of the protest, but stated that the airport had regulations against public demonstrations.

“The airport is aware that some people are interested in coming to our facility tonight to protest federal actions on immigration. Please know that the airport’s rules and regulations requires (sic) a permit for any type of public demonstration. DEN respect’s (sic) the public’s right to engage in political discourse, but we also have rules that protect the safety and operations of our facility,” the tweet said.

DIA later tweeted that the protest had been moved to the open-air plaza at the south end of the terminal. The move occurred after a crowd gathered in the security and baggage terminal. 

In the following video from Denverite, an airport official can be heard speaking with a megaphone over protesters chanting “peace” while gathered inside the terminal.

“Good evening … I’m with Denver International Airport. You need a permit — you need a permit to conduct this activity on airport property … we need you to vacate the premises and cease this activity,” says the airport official at around 1:25. The protesters later moved outside, according to further video taken by Denverite.

Amal Kassir leads a rally at DIA.

Posted by Denverite on 28hb Januari 2017

This is a developing story; the Collegian has reached out to CSU and is awaiting comment. Stay with the Collegian for updates.

Collegian Editor in Chief Julia Rentsch can be reached at editor@collegian.com and on Twitter at @julia_rentsch.