Campus comes together to combat food insecurity on Giving Tuesday

Students, community members and alumni donated to combat food insecurity with Rams Against Hunger on Tuesday, Nov. 29.

The Tuesday following Thanksgiving is also known as Giving Tuesday and students were encouraged to donate on that day specifically.

Meal donations for Giving Tuesday exceeded the donations received in 2015. The goal was to have 3,500 meals donated. The end of day count for this year’s Giving Tuesday was 3,844 donated meals.

The meals donated are five meals a week provided by the university dining halls to the students in need.

Donations this year totaled $26,908, according to Thea Rounsaville, assistant director of annual giving. According to an article in SOURCE, supporters gave nearly $12,000 to support Rams Against Hunger. In 2015, a total of $30,824 was donated on Giving Tuesday.

“Yesterday was a huge success and (the office of giving) expect(s) to see continued support as we wind down with calendar year end giving,” Rounsaville wrote in an email to the Collegian.

A donation of just under seven dollars provides one meal for a student suffering from food insecurity. A donation of 130 dollars will feed a student for one month. Despite the emphasis placed on donating on Giving Tuesday, donations can be made at any point in the year. Donations can be made online on the Rams Against Hunger website.

There were 523 donors by the end of the day. By comparison, there were over 400 donors in 2015, according to a SOURCE article.

Donors ranged from locals in Fort Collins all the way to Michele Girault in Anchorage, Alaska. A map of those who donated can be viewed on the Giving Tuesday website.

Rams Against Hunger is an organization through the SLiCE office on campus that helps to combat food insecurity within the student body. The United States Department of Agriculture defines food insecurity to be an economic and social condition of limited or uncertain access to adequate food, from which hunger can derive.

Undergraduate students experiencing food insecurity can apply online to receive meals provided by Rams Against Hunger. Students may apply at any point during the year. Typically, 75 meals will be provided for a full semester.

More than 2,800 students on campus, or approximately one in ten students, experience food insecurity on campus, according to the website for Rams Against Hunger. Currently, there are 180 students on the Rams Against Hunger waitlist.

Collegian reporter Rachel Telljohn can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @racheltelljohn.