The Student News Site of Colorado State University

The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Student News Site of Colorado State University

The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Student News Site of Colorado State University

The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Print Edition
Letter to the editor submissions
Have a strong opinion about something happening on campus or in Fort Collins? Want to respond to an article written on The Collegian? Write a Letter to the Editor by following the guidelines here.
Follow Us on Twitter
From the Rockies to the Races: Why College Students Are Joining the Celebrity-Packed  Kentucky Derby
From the Rockies to the Races: Why College Students Are Joining the Celebrity-Packed Kentucky Derby
April 24, 2024

The Kentucky Derby, often celebrated as “the most exciting two minutes in sports,” transcends mere horse racing to become a staple of American...

Students evacuate Yates after smelling gas Thursday night

Students and instructors evacuated Yates Hall Thursday night after smelling gas in the classrooms.

Risk and Public Safety Communications Manager Dell Rae Ciaravola said the Colorado State University Police Department responded to a report that the smell of gas was present in the building.

Ad

Jenna Taylor, a freshman Health and Exercise Science major, said the instructor of her biology lab class believed a student accidentally bumped into one of the gas levers.

“We were sitting in our biology lab class and started smelling gas,” Taylor said. “Our lab instructor thought someone had just bumped one of the gas levers, but then all the lab rooms were smelling it.”

Taylor said all the students were evacuated around 6:20 p.m. and waited outside the Yates building for 40 minutes until firefighters told them it was safe to go back inside.

Jerilyn Laws, a freshman Health and Exercise Science major, said students were still uninformed about what the cause of the smell was after the lab ended.

“They don’t know (what happened) yet,” Laws said. “They haven’t told us. A bunch of firefighters came and cleared the building, and then said it was okay to go back in.”

Ciaravola said Poudre Fire Authority found no evidence of a gas leak after checking the building. Students were allowed to re-enter the building after Poudre Fire Authority searched for the leak. According to Ciaravola, there were no reports of an ambulance present.

Collegian reporter Haley Candelario can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @H_Candelario98.

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

When commenting on The Collegian’s website, please be respectful of others and their viewpoints. The Collegian reviews all comments and reserves the right to reject comments from the website. Comments including any of the following will not be accepted. 1. No language attacking a protected group, including slurs or other profane language directed at a person’s race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, social class, age, physical or mental disability, ethnicity or nationality. 2. No factually inaccurate information, including misleading statements or incorrect data. 3. No abusive language or harassment of Collegian writers, editors or other commenters. 4. No threatening language that includes but is not limited to language inciting violence against an individual or group of people. 5. No links.
All The Rocky Mountain Collegian Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *