Weekly Crime Update: Sept. 19

University of Northern Colorado Students escorted from Hughes Stadium

Four spectators were escorted out of Hughes Stadium during the Colorado State University football home game against University of Northern Colorado.

Dell Rae Ciaravola, CSU senior communications coordinator said three males and one female had placed themselves in a reserved seating section that they did not have tickets for and were reportedly causing distractions for spectators.

The four agitators, believed to be UNC students, were asked by event staff and law enforcement officers to sit and calm down. After failing to comply, police officers escorted them out of the stadium. One of the males was cited with two misdemeanors: unlawful conduct and resisting arrest.

Update: Man accused of striking 11-month old baby appears in court

Formal charges have been filed against Juan Canales Hernandez for his involvement in the death of the 11-month-old girl. His charges include:

• First-degree murder (first-degree felony)
  • Child abuse resulting in death (second-degree felony)
  • Attempt to influence a public servant (fourth-degree felony)
  • Habitual child abuser (sentence enhancer)

He was due in court last Friday, Sept. 16.

Hernadez was arrested on Sept. 8 for Child Abuse Resulting in Serious Injury, which is a class three felony. He reportedly struck 11-month-old RaeLynn Martinez with a chair after getting frustrated. Martinez had been injured at an apartment on Blue Spruce Drive in Fort Collins.

Fort Collins Police Services initiated an investigation into the injuries of Martinez who was brought into the Poudre Valley hospital by her mother for treatment. The child was airlifted to Children’s Hospital in Aurora.

The child was pronounced dead at 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 9. Canales-Hernandez was held without bond at the Larimer County Detention Office.

According to police, Canales-Hernandez confessed to striking the child, his girlfriends daughter, after he became “frustrated” Canales-Hernandez, who is not the childs father, admitted to the crime after his girlfriend lied for him and said the injuries were accidental.

Update: Charges filed against woman involved in hit-and-run

Charges were filed against a woman who was involved in a hit-and-run.

On Sept. 6, charges were brought against Stephanie Shafer for the following crimes:

• Vehicular assault – DUI, a class 4 felony, two counts;
  • Leaving the scene of an accident involving serious bodily injury, a class 4 felony, two counts;
  • Careless driving resulting in injury, a class 1 traffic misdemeanor;
  • Leaving the scene of an accident involving injury, a class 1 traffic misdemeanor.

On Sept. 9, Shafer turned herself in and was released after she posted her $7,500 bond.

On July 13, Shafer was involved in a hit-and-run involving a group of pedestrians at the intersection of Drake Road and Matthews Street. Pedestrians Angela Fitzsimmons, and Joseph Carter suffered serious injuries and were treated at Medical Center of the Rockies. A third pedestrian sustained minor injuries.

Shafer originally fled the scene but was contacted a short distance away later that evening.

Collegian reporter Stuart Smith contributed to this report

Collegian reporter Allec Brust can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @Brustyyy.