Northern Colorado Pride to host Orlando vigil in Old Town

Northern Colorado Pride will host a flameless candlelight vigil at 8 p.m. tonight in Old Town Square to honor victims, survivors and first responders affected by the June 12 mass shooting in Orlando, Florida, at Pulse, a gay nightclub. 

Representative Joann Ginal and other local leaders that support the LGBTQ+ community will speak at the vigil. Northern Colorado Pride emphasizes that the vigil will be a safe space for LGBTQ+ members and allies.

Kimberly Chambers, founder of Northern Colorado Pride, said she encourages the community to come together to honor the lives lost in Orlando.

“The city of Fort Collins has vowed recognition by proclamation of LGBT Pride Month and is supportive in our mission towards equity and inclusion,” Chambers said. “The state of Colorado has evidenced it is behind us politically, but as our nation sheds tears, we must not retreat to our closets out of fear. We must gather, come together and make our PULSE stronger than ever.”

Representative Jared Polis will not be speaking at tonight’s vigil, but as a co-chairman of the Congressional LGBT Equality Caucus and as the first openly gay parent to serve in Congress, he released a statement in response to the domestic terror attack in Orlando.

“The Orlando shooting was a direct attack on equality, diversity, and freedom; it was an act of terror against all Americans,” Polis said. “Most tragically, it snuffed out dozens of vibrant lives too soon and darkened countless others. My heartfelt sympathy is with the victims as well as their families, friends and the city of Orlando.”

The vigil will be located on the stage in Old Town Square at 8 p.m. Click here to learn more about Northern Colorado Pride’s response to the Orlando mass shooting.

Collegian Arts and Culture Editor Randi Mattox can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @randimattox.