Diversity Bill senator seats filled for 46th senate

After the back-and-forth contention and subsequent passing of the Diversity Bill earlier this year, the first session of the Associated Students of Colorado State University’s 46th senate on May 4 saw the attendance of senators representing the organizations that were allotted senatorial seats by the bill. These include: the Student Diversity Programs and Services offices, the Adult Learner and Veterans Services Office and the International Programs Office. 

All of the senator seats created with the passage of the Diversity Bill have been filled except for the Office of International Programs.

The first session proved to be a significant milestone for these senators, particularly for ALVS representative Duane Hansen, who has been campaigning for the bill for three years.

Duane Hansen outside of the ALVS office. Photo courtesy of Jordan Lanham

“What it comes down to is better access for students to know what’s going on in ASCSU. It also allows for us to mobilize around issues. (You) saw some of that mobilization take place over the Diversity Bill debates, and that was three or four offices,” said Hansen. “That to me is the biggest takeaway; greater student involvement and greater access to ASCSU.”

For new senator Isaiah Martin, who was a leading figure in the Diversity Bill protests, fighting for his senatorial seat was just the first step. He expects the most out of his new position as a representative of the Black/African-American Cultural Center. 

“Winning these seats is the first step of many seats to go,” said Martin. “Seeing the results of all this, I’m not only proud, but excited. We will do so much and create (so much) change.” 

2016-2017 ASCSU senators are sworn in on May 4. Photo by Abbie Parr

ASCSU Representatives of SDPS offices

• Adult Learner and Veteran Services (ALVS) office
    • Senator Duane Hansen
    • Associate Senator Alex Jones
  • Asian/Pacific American Cultural Center (APACC)
    • Senator Robert Griffith
    • Associate Senator Aruka Sanchir
  • Black/African American Cultural Center
    • Senator Isaiah Martin
  • El Centro
    • Senator Stephanie Herrera
  • Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Queer Questioning & Ally (GLBTQ2A) Resource Center
    • Senator Andy Auer 
  • Native American Cultural Center (NACC)
    • Senator Aaron Joseph Tayah
  • Resources for Disabled Students (RDS) office
    • Senator Cerridwyn Nordstrom
  • Women and Gender Advocacy Center (WGAC)
    • Senator Natyely Soza
  • **Office of International Programs: Open seat

Collegian reporter Gabriel Go can be reached at news@collegian.com or on twitter @jackal893