University Reports: U+2 and Hughes Stadium

The Colorado State University System Board of Governors met Thursday and Friday for its first meeting of the semester. On Friday Colorado State University President Tony Frank gave a report to the board, followed by the student’s report given by Associated Students of Colorado State University President Jason Sydoriak. The next board meeting will occur in December.

A Future For Hughes

President’s Report

During his report, Frank presented his intentions to begin discussions about Hughes Stadium with the city of Fort Collins.

Frank had initially planned to leave Hughes Stadium as is until the new stadium was completed and financially stable. Hughes Stadium would have been treated as a sort of fallback option.

“My plan was to set that discussion aside in case the financial model we planned failed,” Frank said.

However, this plan would cause Hughes Stadium to stand empty and not utilized for up to 20 years.

“We are now going forward with the city in a non-binding joint vision,” Frank said.

The City of Fort Collins and CSU have now started a community discussion concerning what uses Hughes could provide in the future.

“This will be an opportunity to work with the city very closely,” Frank said.

Going forward, the board will have a construction update specifically focused on the new stadium at every meeting.

“So far, so good,” said Amy Parsons, CSU executive vice chancellor. “I am tremendously confident that we are capable of staying within the budget.”

The Fight Against U+2

Student Report

Sydoriak informed the Board of Governors of ASCSU’s plans to take action against city ordinance U+2.

“We don’t believe this ordinance is characteristic of the ideals of Fort Collins,” Sydoriak said.

Sydoriak claimed U+2 has led to inflated housing prices and to law abiding citizens being forced to break the law.

ASCSU will pursue a solution that does not simply reverse the law, but instead will revise the law to be proportionate to the number of rooms in the residence, according to Sydoriak.

“This law is not reflective of the community and does not take the concerns of students into account,” Sydoriak said.

CORA (Colorado Open Records Act)

The board briefly mentioned lobbying the legislature to reform the Colorado Open Records Act. The board supports adding residency requirements and other changes, including additional response time for complicated requests.

Member Resignation

Dorothy Horrell, a voting member of the board, is resigning to pursue a new position with the University of Colorado Denver.

Collegian Reporter Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @erinmdouglas23.