The top apps for college students

Apps are by far one of the best perks to owning a mobile phone.

There seems to be an app for everything these days, and many of them can make college life much easier. From social apps to apps for tracking workouts and personal finance, here are some of the top picks for college students.

fb_icon_325x325
Facebook

Social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.)

For those who haven’t gotten into the social media movement by now, college is a great time to get started. Social media is a powerful way to stay connected with friends, classmates, co-workers and even professors and the University itself. Many groups use social media as a main form of communication, so getting the apps is a sure-fire way to stay in the know.

Snapchat
Snapchat

Snapchat

Free: Android | iPhone

Originally created as a way to chat with friends using photos that delete after being viewed, Snapchat has become a major form of social media, with major companies, news broadcasts and even Cam the Ram (CSUCamTheRam) having their own Snapchat profiles. Be sure to follow the official Colorado State University Snapchat, ColoradoStateU.

yikyak
Yik Yak

Yik Yak

Free: Android | iPhone

A relatively new app that became prominent in the last year, the best way to describe Yik Yak would be as an anonymous localized Twitter. Users can up-vote the best “yaks,” and yaks that are down-voted enough get deleted. The company even came to visit CSU last year, along with a ridable mechanical yak, and prizes for users with enough “yakarma.”

Mint
Mint

Mint

Free: Android | iPhone

Mint is an app that allows users to organize their finances, and it’s even possible to set daily limits to keep from spending too much. Very useful to those who come to college with little understanding of managing their finances, Mint is great for keeping an eye on spending money.

Your Bank’s App

Provided by most major banks, having an app that allows you to access your bank accounts on the go makes transferring money and monitoring your finances a breeze.

my fitness pal
MyFitness Pal

MyFitnessPal

Free: Android | iPhone

MyFitnessPal is a wonderful app that allows users to track their food intake and to keep their workouts organized. A must-have for anyone that spends a good amount of time in the Recreation Center or out on running trails, this app is a great help when it comes to keeping in shape in college.

OneNote
OneNote

OneNote/EverNote

OneNote

Free: Android | iPhone

EverNote

Free: Android | iPhone

Both strong apps for ditching pen-and-paper notes in class, these apps allows you to create notes that are synched between devices over the Internet. OneNote comes as a part of the Microsoft Office suite, provided for free by the University and is an integral part of the brand new Windows 10.

GroupMe
GroupMe

GroupMe

Free: Android | iPhone

An SMS app that allows you to create customized group chats on your phone, GroupMe is essential for anyone involved with groups at CSU. GroupMe makes chatting with large groups of people a cinch, no matter what kind of smart phone they have.

Google Drive
Google Drive

Google Drive/Dropbox

Google Drive

Free: Android | iPhone

Dropbox

Free: Android | iPhone

Useful for accessing files on the go, these cloud storage apps allow users to be sure that they are never caught without their important documents or presentations, no matter where they are. Dropbox allows more storage, but Drive is useful for organizing different types of files.

I>Clicker Go
i>Clicker Go

i>Clicker Go

Free: Android | iPhone

Essential for any large 100-level lecture, the i>Clicker Go app allows users to turn their phone into an iClicker, rather than buying one and remembering to bring it to class every day.

Wolfram Alpha
Wolfram Alpha

Wolfram Alpha

Free: Android | iPhone

A fantastic app that makes doing any sort of math calculation incredibly easy. Wolfram Alpha offers facts, statistics and even allows users to create graphs of their favorite actors faces.

Afterlight
Afterlight

Photo editors (Afterlight, Snapseed, etc.)

Afterlight

$0.99: Android | iPhone

Snapseed

Free: Android | iPhone

With phones being used more and more to capture snapshots of student lives, being able to edit those snapshots is a must. These apps allow fine-tuning of photos, with more options than apps such as Instagram.

EasyBib
EasyBib

EasyBib

Free: Android | iPhone

A somewhat finicky app that allows users to scan barcodes or enter book names and receive citations in whatever format they specify. Useful for creating citations without searching the book for all of the details, citations should still be double-checked before being added to a bibliography.

Canvas
Canvas

Canvas

Free: Android | iPhone

CSU has completely transitioned from RamCT to Canvas, and one of the nice parts of this change is the ease of the Canvas app. The app makes it easy to check grades and recieve announcements for classes all in one place.

RAMMobile
RamMobile

RamMobile

Free: Android | iPhone

This app allows users to access Canvas, RamWeb and other CSU links all from one app. RamMobile has maps, phone numbers and campus information all in one convenient place, so users don’t have to open up web pages to find what they need.

Collegian
Collegian

The Collegian

Free: Android | iPhone

The Collegian app allows users to receive push alerts of breaking news, as well as access local CSU news, opinions and other content published by the Collegian.

Collegian Reporter Chapman Croskell can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter @Nescwick.