Odd jobs and fast cash

ram-rumble

As college students, our wallets are, more often than not, thin and sparse. For full-time or graduate students, it is difficult to work a job when there are endless amounts of classes and extensive homework loads waiting at home. Many students work full- and part-time jobs to help support their academic, nutritional and social pursuits. However, sometimes students do not have the time to work or do not make enough money to completely support their pursuits. Here are some odd job suggestions that will present opportunities to get fast cash.

Dog walking/sitting

Many people hear the word “babysitting” or “nannying” and cringe. Taking care of children is notable for spending a few hours with germ-covered, uncontrollable children. So kids aren’t your thing? No worries. Consider dog sitting or walking.

If you are an animal lover, this is for you. Many people who work full-time do not have time to walk their dogs so they hire walkers. Walkers make anywhere from $10 to $25 per walk, depending on the distance and length of the walk. Ask you neighbors if they need a walker or a sitter for when they are out of town or at work. There are also websites that provide dog walking or sitting jobs. Care.com and dogvacay.com have local pet care jobs. You can always put an add out on Craigslist.

Dog walking or sitting is a great job that gives both you and the dog exercise. Plus, spending a few hours a week with a dog is one of the best stress relievers.

Tutoring

As university students, we all have some sort of specialty because of our majors. Consider tutoring once or twice a week. Tutors often charge $20 to $60 an hour depending on the subject, your level of education, certain certifications and the grade level you are teaching. Why not use the knowledge and skills you have gained to tutor elementary, high school or college students?

Care.com does not only provide pet care job opportunities but tutoring as well. Spread the word around neighborhoods, create a Craigslist ad and network in order find clients. Tutors are often needed in math, science, reading, writing, computer science and foreign language.

Donate plasma

Many people donate plasma every once in a while to make a little pocket money here or there. There is a plasma donation center on Elizabeth Street near campus. You must be between 18 and 65 years old to donate plasma. According to CLS Plasma, it is possible to make $200 a month by donating plasma.

By donating plasma, you are not only pocketing some cash, but you are donating to someone in need. Plasma contains antibodies and proteins that can help fight diseases and strengthen the immune system.

Collegian Interactive News Team member Kathleen Keaveny can be reached at socialmedia@collegian.com or on Twitter @katkeaveny.