All of the Collegian’s 2015 ASCSU election coverage

Collegian editorial board endorses Wester/Dedogryuk campaign in 2015 ASCSU election

By the Collegian Editorial Board

After interviewing ASCSU presidential election candidates (and an internal hour-and-a-half long discussion), the editorial board of the Rocky Mountain Collegian endorses write-in candidates Lauren Wester and Filipp Dedogryuk. They have embodied their “Open Door Campaign” ideal throughout their candidacy by being forthcoming about their intentions to run in order to make their platforms part of the conversation — including continuing the student absentee policy and Chronic Health Mentoring Program Wester championed as this year’s deputy chief of staff.

To read the rest of the article, click here.

Legislative overview of ASCSU presidential candidates

By Ellie Mulder, Christina Vessa, Hannah Ditzenberger & Lawrence Lam

Colorado State University's ASCSU candidates. (Photo illustration by Rick Cookson)
Colorado State University’s ASCSU candidates. (Photos by Topher Brancaccio and Abbie Parr / Photo illustration by Rick Cookson)

During the 2015 Associated Students of Colorado State University presidential campaigns, many candidates have advocated for transparency. Many candidates’ work in ASCSU is represented in the senate, so the Collegian has compiled all of the legislation each candidate has worked on in senate. Although some of this year’s presidential candidates have served in parts of ASCSU other than the legislative branch, all but one candidate have helped pass legislation through senate in some capacity.

LTTE: Response to Sam Block

By Kwon Yearby

Editor’s note: ASCSU presidential candidate Kwon Yearby responded to a letter to the editor written by ASCSU Director of Environmental Affairs Samantha Block soon after it was published online. The original Senate legislation to which Block and Yearby refer can be viewed here. The amended legislation can be viewed here.

In response to the letter to the editor written by Sam Block, I must say that I am shocked that she would try to insinuate that I lied at any time about my position or involvement in the creation of the on-campus shuttle and, further, to use this insinuation to persuade voters.

LTTE: Be informed when you vote in ASCSU elections

By Samantha Block

Editor’s note: ASCSU presidential candidate Kwon Yearby responded to this letter soon after it was published online. The original Senate legislation to which Block and Yearby refer can be viewed here. The amended legislation can be viewed here.

I am writing today to inform students of a matter that I believe is important for them to understand. As many students know, the ASCSU elections are currently in the works, with voting occurring April 6th, 7th and 8th.  If students care to make an informed decision on the candidates they vote for, I believe the information I have to present is something important to consider. For clarification, I am not at all telling students who they should vote for, but instead I would like to encourage students who are voting to make informed decisions and do their research before electing their student leaders and representatives.

ASCSU candidates debate in LSC Theater

By Christina Vessa & CTV Staff

Candidates for the Associated Students of Colorado State University presidential elections discussed transparency of ASCSU, student body participation, diversity and sexual assault prevention at a debate hosted by the Collegian and CTV Wednesday evening. Voting period for ASCSU elections begins April 6 at 8 a.m. and will close April 8 at 4 p.m. Voting will take place online at RamWeb, at the Lory Student Center and at the Morgan Library. [new_royalslider id=”305″] Photos by Christina Vessa.

ASCSU liberal arts senate candidates share their goals

By Sady Swanson

In the Associated Students of Colorado State University liberal arts senate race, five students will be running for six positions. Voting is from April 6 to April 8 on RamWeb. Some goals of candidates in the race are raising awareness of mental health issues, connecting with students and creating resources for students.

ASCSU elections key to strengthen student voice

By Sean Kennedy

Sean Kennedy
Sean Kennedy

It’s time to get informed this spring. With student election season in full swing,  we have an unparalleled opportunity to stand in solidarity as a campus community and assert our needs to University administration. It is time for everyone to decide what ASCSU’s role is in holding CSU leadership accountable for their actions. It is time to get informed and involved in student representation.

ASCSU presidential campaign: Lauren Wester and Filipp Dedogryuk

By Hannah Ditzenberger

Lauren Wester and Fillip. (Photo credit: Abby Parr)
Lauren Wester and Filipp Dedogryuk. (Photo credit: Abbie Parr)

The myriad of personalities at Colorado State University motivates Lauren Wester to serve the student body. “At the end of the day, our individualities make us valuable — inherently valuable,” Wester said. “Who is to say that one person’s ideas aren’t as good as another’s?” After hearing the platforms of the other candidates, Wester and her running mate Filipp Dedogryuk announced their candidacy Thursday.

ASCSU candidates debate on plaza

By Hannah Ditzenberger

032815_Debate2_TB
ASCSU candidates listen to questions directed to them during the on-campus debate in the LSC Plaza. (Photo credit: Topher Brancaccio)

Candidates for ASCSU president and vice president discussed their visions for the upcoming year on the plaza Friday. The candidates answered questions regarding student involvement, diversity, transportation and student fees. The debate was moderated by elections manager Andrei Gurau. The candidates for presidency are Jason Sydoriak with Taylor Albaugh, Kwon Yearby with Clayton King and Lauren Wester with Filipp Dedogryuk. The voting period will begin April 6 at 8 a.m. and will close April 8 at 4 p.m. Voting stations will be available in the Lory Student Center or the Morgan Library, and students can vote online at RamWeb.

Collegian Debates – ASCSU Presidential Debate

By CTV Staff

Content Editing Manager Kate Simmons of the Collegian moderates this ASCSU presidential debate between candidates Jason Sydoriak, Kwon Yearby, and Lauren Wester. They sit down to debate on issues ranging from U+2 to parking on campus.

Don’t forget to vote. Voting begins April 6 and ends April 8. You can vote at the Lory Student Center, Morgan’s Library and Ramweb.

ASCSU elections: Sydoriak-Albaugh campaign fined $95, Yearby-King fined $10

By Ellie Mulder

Three complaints were brought against Associated Students of Colorado State University presidential election campaigns during a Friday elections committee meeting — two against the Yearby-King campaign and one against the Sydoriak-Albaugh campaign.

BREAKING: Third ASCSU presidential candidate announced

By Hannah Ditzenberger

Running as write-in candidates, Lauren Wester and Filipp Dedogryuk announced their ASCSU presidential campaign Thursday. Wester, ASCSU deputy chief of staff and international studies major, will run with Dedogryuk, a senator for the College of Natural Sciences and a junior psychology major.

ASCSU Sydoriak-Albaugh presidential campaign fined $60

By Caitlin Curley

The Associated Students of Colorado State University Elections Committee imposed four fines totaling $60 on the Sydoriak-Albaugh presidential/vice-presidential campaign Tuesday.

ASCSU presidential campaign: Jason Sydoriak and Taylor Albaugh

By Hannah Ditzenberger & Ellie Mulder

SydoriacAlbaugh2
Taylor Albaugh and Jason Sydoriak. (Photo credit: Topher Brancaccio)

During his six years in the military, Jason Sydoriak learned to communicate with a variety of people. From getting food and water to locals, to bonding with his fellow marines, coordination was key. Sydoriak, a presidential candidate for the Associated Students of Colorado State University, and his running mate, Taylor Albaugh, said they want students and administration to be on the same page.

ASCSU presidential campaign: Kwon Yearby and Clayton King

By Christina Vessa & Lawrence Lam

YearbyKing1
Clayton King and Kwon Yearby. (Photo credit: Topher Brancaccio)

Five months ago, he lost his ASCSU senate seat due to an impeachment. Now, he is running for student body president. Sustainability, increasing diversity and fighting for student rights are three main platforms of Kwon Yearby and Clayton King’s “Fight On” campaign. These candidates hope to encourage a green campaign by connecting to students through student media, instead of traditional fliers.

ASCSU elections: Student voice

By Ellie Mulder, Christina Vessa & Rachel Musselmann

With the Associated Students of Colorado State University  campaign season upon us, the Collegian took to the plaza to ask students what they think of ASCSU, and what they expect from their student government. Although many students were not familiar with what ASCSU does, they said they would like more interaction from their student government.

ASCSU presidential campaigns to begin Monday

By Christina Vessa

Campaigning for the Associated Students of Colorado State University 2015 elections will begin Monday. Senator Jason Sydoriak, a senior political science major, will run for president with Deputy Director of Student Services Taylor Albaugh, a sophomore business major, for vice president. Kwon Yearby will be running for president with Clayton King as vice president. Both are junior economics majors. Yearby served as a senator in fall 2014, but was impeached in November. He said he disagreed with the conditions under which his impeachment took place.

ASCSU president, vice president candidates announced

By Hannah Ditzenberger

Associated Students of Colorado State University announced candidates for president, vice president and senator positions for the 2015 elections. Kwon Yearby, junior economics major, will run as president with junior economics major Clayton King as vice president. Senior political science major Jason Sydoriak and his running mate Taylor Albaugh, sophomore business major, will also contend for the positions.

Collegian Staff can be reached at editor@collegian.com or on Twitter @CollegianC.