Faith Fair brings together students of different religions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCRMvK3h5GA&feature=youtu.be

Video by Kaitlyn Connolly

For CSU junior Ryan Krammes, college is the ideal time to delve into his Christian faith.

“Spiritual awareness and growing in your beliefs is a huge part of college,” Krammes said. “I want to know Christ and make him known.”

The health and exercise science major said students seek electric religious experiences, but often find them difficult to approach.

“A lot of times it’s kind of difficult to talk about,” Krammes said. “It’s not something that people want to talk about in classes or just walking around. People kind of get awkward when you do talk about it.”

Krammes is a member at CSU’s Navigators, a Christian campus ministry for students. The group was represented at CSU’s Faith, Belief, & Spirituality Fair, along with 26 other organizations. The fair was hosted by ASCSU Monday in the Lory Student Center ballroom.

“We have a lot of different student organizations,” said Lauren Wester, deputy chief at ASCSU and organizer of the event. “We have several organizations that represent bigger religions, like Christianity, Judaism and Islam, and we have also have organizations that are representing smaller religions, like the Baha’i faith.”

Organizations featured include:
Faith Fair - List of Organizations

According to Wester, the Office of Orientation and Transition Programs hosts a similar event for freshman every year. However, this is the first faith fair designated for all students.

“We just wanted to create more awareness for faith beliefs and different spiritualities on campus,” Wester said. “We also wanted to let students know about the communities they can get connected with — organizations where they can feel accepted and be strengthened in their faith and belief.”

[new_royalslider id=”292″]

Photos by Matti Whaley

Alex Ingber, a sophomore political science major and member of the Jewish organization Chabad, said that the CSU administration supports their organization by putting on events like this one.

“We really appreciate their help and their effort to bring more religious help (to campus),” Ingber said. “There aren’t very many Jews here, so it’s really great that (CSU) goes out of their way to do this for us.”

Inger said students are accepting towards the myriad of beliefs on campus.

“I think it’s nice how everyone respects other people’s stance,” Inger said. “In many other universities that becomes a problem pretty quickly. It’s great how the campus is tolerant, and it isn’t invasive.”

Collegian Diversity Beat and Entertainment Reporter Hannah Ditzenberger can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @h_ditzenberger