SLiCE provides community, engagement and service opportunities

Feeling overwhelmed in a bubble of college classes, college companions and college culture, environmental sociology major Becky Peters said she sought ways to break out of her closed community.

A freshman at the time, Peters said she chose volunteer groups like CSU Serves and Alternative Spring Break to develop a greater understanding of the world and her purpose.

“You can forget your significance and your impact,” Peters said. “When you get outside (of this bubble), it helps you unpack things. You see how really great you have things, and you see how we can work to make it better.”

Now, as a senior, Peters said she continues to work towards that goal. She serves as a volunteer programs coordinator for the Student Leadership, Involvement, and Community Engagement (SLiCE) office, the University’s hub for student organizations, volunteering and leadership opportunities.  

Through SLiCE, CSU students have opportunities to join clubs, go on service trips and attend leadership training programs.

‘There’s really something for everybody,” said Spencer Huyck, the student coordinator with Residence Life. “Every program is meaningful. You really can’t go wrong at SLiCE, because everybody is so dedicated and passionate about what they do.”

Peters said that common ways to get involved include CSUnity, a day-long program on April 25 that allows students to serve Fort Collins, and Cans Around the Oval, a food drive that occurs each Fall at CSU. 

Hucyk, a senior sociology major, said he is a member of SLiCE’s President’s Leadership Program, a three-year program that trains student leaders through retreats, service projects and internships. 

“Everybody there knows each other,” Hucyk said. “Everybody checks in on each other, and it’s a lot of fun. It’s a relaxed environment.”

With approximately 500 student organizations offered through SLiCE, involvement coordinator Meg Monacelli said that SLiCE is the best way for students to get involved on campus. However, she said the numerous opportunities can be overwhelming for students.

“(When I first came to CSU), I felt like I was being bombarded,” Monacelli said.  “I had to figure out what my interests were and what I wanted to do.”

She said that at a large campus, SLiCE provides fellowship that can be hard to find.

“It’s such a supportive community and culture,” Monacelli said. “These people really care about your holistic self.”

Through SLiCE, Peters has attended three Alternative Spring Break trips, and is leading a trip to San Francisco this March. She said that through these experiences, she has found community and direction for her life.

“It’s completely messed up my mind in the best way possible,” Peters said. “It helps you find a chosen family, a small group … that you can really connect to.”

Peters said she is glad to see students continually challenging themselves beyond the comfort of the University campus.

“(With SLiCE) kids are getting out in the community,” Peters said. “They aren’t just sitting in their dorms or in their classrooms. They’re out doing things and living well.”

Collegian Diversity Beat Reporter Hannah Ditzenberger can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @h_ditzenberger.