Colorado State University’s International Film Series comes to a close

The last movie of the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department‘s International Film Series, “Little White Lies,” showed Tuesday.

Students starting to show up for "Little White Lies". (photo credit: Haleigh McGill)
Students starting to show up for “Little White Lies”.
(photo credit: Haleigh McGill)

Throughout the semester, Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish movies were featured that were free and open to the public.

For “Little White Lies,” a modern French dramedy, approximately 30-40 students attended. Some were there to just enjoy the movie while others were receiving class credit. Marina Cifelli, CSU junior double major in Equine Science and International Studies, was there for the latter but sees value in the film series.

“I’m in a French class … but I think (the film series) is great,” Cifelli said. “You don’t have to be in French or anything, you can just come and it’s a good cultural experience.”

Some of the students in attendance had been to previous films, and enjoy getting a brief glimpse into what real life is like in other countries through the movies’ perspectives and content. CSU freshman psychology major Rachel Bench went to two of the films, including “Little White Lies,” and believes that the film series does have an impact on those who go.

“I think it’s not only good to see how (the movies) use the context of the language … but watching the movies also gives us that exposure to the culture,” Bench said. “It shows us how they really talk (in other countries) and the slang … that’s the most applicable impact.”

Various campus organizations are involved in the film series depending on the featured country in the movie. Jake Wedgworth, second year graduate student and coordinator for Phi Delta Phi, CSU’s French Honor Society, said that the film series was organized in order to provide easy opportunities for people to watch quality foreign movies that are often overlooked or difficult to find.

“The International Film Series gives students somewhere to go experience culture in an authentic way. It’s kind of hard to find foreign movies … you hear how people actually speak and all these different things that you don’t necessarily get in the classroom,” Wedgworth said. “I hope that (the film series) gives students a fun activity to do … you can sit and listen and you don’t have to participate actively.”

Collegian Reporter Haleigh McGill can be reached at news@collegian.com, or on Twitter @HaleighMcGill.