Sober nightclub at CSU

A new nightclub has opened up at Colorado State University.  On select weekends, the CSU Residence Hall Association puts on Club Ram for anyone age 17 and up for a sober night of music and dancing.

“Club Ram is put on by the CSU Residence Hall Association as a safe club scene for the community,” said Sam Barthel, RHA director of external relations.

Club Ram takes place from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on select weekends in the Lory Student Center Theatre. It is open to anyone in the community, but is focused towards on-campus students, according to Zachary Sullivan, regional communications coordinator of recruitment and retention for the Intermountain Affiliate of College University Residence HallsSullivan is involved in the planning for Club Ram.

“I think it’s a great idea but it might not be worth the effort,” said sophomore Jourdan Bilderback. “It could be hard to enforce a drug and alcohol policy and then it would become unsafe.”

According to Sullivan, Club Ram is designed specifically with safety in mind, taking into account the potential alcohol and drug use that goes along with the club scene.  Sullivan said that many of the students who attend do so because they can be sober while still having fun.

“It’s also a safer space than going to the clubs in Denver,” Sullivan said. “It’s on campus so it’s a safer space for those who decide to use drugs and alcohol, so they aren’t driving drunk or high.”

If students come from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m., it is free.  After 10 p.m., there is a $1 cover charge that goes towards a charity. According to Sullivan, the first few months went towards Cans Around the Oval, but Club Ram is looking into other options as well.

The event features CSU students with an interest in being a DJ. Junior Daniel Wakefield is the head DJ.

“For the first hour, other students interested in being a DJ work with Daniel,” Sullivan said.  “After that, he (Wakefield) takes over.”

The turnout for Club Ram has exceeded the expectations of the RHA.  According to Sullivan, every event has had over 100 attendees, with at least 90 percent of those being on-campus students.

“We were projecting a lot less than that, maybe 70 or so people,” Sullivan said.

The next event of the semester will be Dec. 12. Sullivan hopes that there will be a good turnout for the last event of the year, especially since changes will be coming in 2015.

“(Club Ram) will be re-designed next semester for more of a VIP feel,” Sullivan said.

Collegian Reporter Jonathan Matheny can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on twitter @jonathanmathen2.