Colorado State University presents “Visions of Future Earth”

Beginning Monday Colorado State University will host its fifth campus-wide International Colloquium at the Lory Student Center.

The university will be welcoming experts on the topic of sustainability and its various sub-categories, including climate change, the built environment, population growth, food security, climate-smart agriculture, emerging diseases and economic perspectives on sustainability. Each of the University’s colleges will be contributing to a multidisciplinary discussion regarding the issue of sustainability.

(Photo credit: Colorado State University)

This three-day event features 11 panel sessions that are meant to increase participants’ understanding of environmental sustainability on a global scale, and to highlight the connections between society and the environment. These sessions are free and open to the public.

Students, faculty, staff and members of the greater Fort Collins community are encouraged to attend “Visions of Future Earth.” Last year’s International Colloquium on the topic of Global One Health boasted an attendance rate over 1,000 people.

Monday, October 6

2 – 4 p.m.

Forging a Vision for a Sustainable Water Future Room 382

2:30 – 4 p.m.

The Business of Feeding the World Cherokee Park Ballroom
Biodiversity Without Borders: A Global Problem Demanding Global Solutions Grey Rock Room

4:30 – 6 p.m.: Plenary Session

Our Earth’s Future: The Arctic from a Global Perspective – Why Are Changes in the Arctic Important for the Rest of the World?  North Ballroom

Keynote speaker – Dr. Robert W. Corell
Senior Faculty Fellow, Florida International University
Professor II, University of the Arctic
Principal, Global Environment and Technology Foundation

Tuesday, October 7

2:30 – 4 p.m.

Climate Smart Agriculture Grey Rock Room
Economic Insights on Climate Policy: Global to Domestic Cherokee Park Ballroom
People Matter: Transformations to Social-Ecological Sustainability Room 304-306

4:30 – 6 p.m.

Workshop: How Many is Too Many? Overpopulation and Ecological Sustainability in the Anthropocene Epoch Room 304-306
Sick about Climate Change: How Changing Environmental Conditions Impact Emerging Disease Grey Rock Room

6:15 p.m.

Film Screening – “The Hazda: Last of the First” Lory Student Center Theater
This event is free, but tickets are required and can be reserved through the SoGES website.
Immediately following this documentary premiere, director Bill Benenson will hold a panel discussion along with CSU’s Anthropology Department.

Wednesday, October 8

2:30 – 4 p.m.

What Can an Education Abroad Teach Our Future Leaders about Sustainability? Grey Rock Room
Creating a New Vision for Healthy, Thriving Communities Room 382

Collegian Reporter Haleigh McGill can be reached at news@collegian.com.