Whistle Blowers Ball

The Beta Gamma Nu fraternity will be hosting their annual ‘Snowfall Ball’ this Saturday night in the Lory Student Center Theatre at 8 o’clock sharp. All funds from the event will be going to Falling Whistles, an organization which aids in in the effort to stop the war in Congo.

The Beta Gamma Nu chapter at CSU was founded about two years ago and once it started they got straight to work fighting the war in Congo.

“We want everyone to know that we’re all about social and global awareness of certain subjects that maybe aren’t talked about like the War in Congo,” said Kenny Inthiraj, president of the Beta Gamma Nu fraternity.

Last year, the fraternity was able to get a hell of a turn out for their first event. They were able to raise $1,200 for Falling Whistles and they’re hoping that with such popularity in the past, they can do it again this year.

“It was pretty good last year,” Inthiraj said. “We had maybe 150 to 200 people there which was a pretty good showing for our first event.”

From the money that Beta Gamma Nu raised last year, they have already been able to fund hospitals in Congo, doctors in Congo and other projects being hosted by Falling Whistles.

Although the event is free, the members of Beta Gamma Nu devised a new way to raise money for Falling Whistles. Not only will they be giving out several prizes to attendee’s, but they will also be handing out whistles.

“By buying the whistles, we helped raise the funds to support efforts against the war in Congo and by wearing the whistles, we help spread awareness about the war in Congo,” said Charlie Trejo, a sophomore member of Beta Gamma Nu.

The prizes, aside from the free whistles, that will be given out range from Qdoba gift cards to one-month gym memberships. The fraternity is advising everyone who attends to dress to impress and enjoy the mixing of a DJ while supporting a good cause.

“Last year was incredible,” said Polly Enochs, senior psychology major who attended last year’s Snowfall Ball. “To be able to dress up, go out, dance a little bit, and support a good cause is truly amazing.”

Collegian Reporter Rick Cookson can be reached at news@collegian.com.