Free art slams the town

Bundle up and get your art on tonight at the First Friday Art Walk from six to nine in Old Town.

The free Art Walk in Old Town Fort Collins features a multitude of galleries and museums with late hours for one night a month, offering free food and drink for all who attend.

Anna Kuhns, a senior art major is a part of the Metals Guild, a group of students who are selling their metal jewelry at Downtown Artery for the first time tonight.

“We’ve been working all semester,” Kuhns said. “It’s a new view on making jewelry. There’s some really cool ideas. Everyone’s style is kind of portrayed within their own work.”

There will be earrings, necklaces and pendants available for purchase.

“They are definitely stuff that you would never find at Forever 21,” Kuhns said. “You’re going to have an interesting, unique feel.”

The Downtown Artery celebrates their six-month anniversary tonight by presenting artwork from CSU capstone students at their three-dimensional show.

“You can’t go wrong. We have amazing food, beer and wine, live music and then, of course, the art work. Who the heck wouldn’t want to come?” said Amy Bradley, partial owner and director of operations at Downtown Artery.

Another feature of First Friday is the poetry slam, hosted by Wolverine Farm Publishing and Bookstore which is in the back of The Bean Cycle.

“The idea came about because there wasn’t a long standing slam in Fort Collins. These poets wanted a venue for that type of poetry,” said Todd Simmons, the director at Wolverine Farm.

The competition is a chance for all poets, rappers and storytellers to challenge their peers and display their repertoire to the community.

“It’s definitely a free for all as far as the content. You never really know what you’re gonna get from month to month,” Simmons said.

Poets can begin signing up at 7:30 p.m. and the slammers begin the free performance at 8 p.m.

According to Simmons, poetry slam is as much about the performance as the poetry itself.

“Topics can range from general angst about the world to rough love, to the desire to express yourself, to anything under the sun – whatever poetry can be about,” Simmons said.

After stopping by the poetry slam, one can meander over to one of the galleries for more art appreciation.

“It is really the one night of the month that there is so much activity,” said Dawn Putney, founder and “fairy godmother” of Art Lab, a gallery participating tonight. “There is an energy in Old Town that you just don’t get other nights.”

Art Lab features students from CSU’s art school presenting their capstone pieces in this holiday show, which is one of their biggest.

The first Friday of the month gives the community a new look at the town.

“It’s such a piece of our community. You get that culture and creativity in Fort Collins, unlike any other night of the month. And – it’s free. What’s not to love about that?” Putney said.

Collegian Diversity Beat Hannah Hemperly can be reached at news@collegian.com.