Government passes bill to temporarily prevent default

English: President Barack Obama speaks to a jo...
English: President Barack Obama speaks to a joint session of Congress regarding health care reform (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Last night, the federal government passed a bill temporarily preventing a default on its debt and ending the shutdown, which lasted 16 days.

CSU would have been impacted significantly, had a temporary solution not been reached, according to CSU President Tony Frank.

On the CSU campus, the shutdown most directly affected student veterans who were not receiving federal benefits and students attempting to apply for financial aid. It also would have affected all university research that received federal funding.

A failure in passing the bill would have also had substantial economic impacts that would have affected the nation and spread through the world.

“We would be hurting the world economy, especially in developing countries,” ASCSU Senator Matt Laneto said. “I don’t see how we can be a world leader without being fiscally responsible ourselves.”

Political Science Professor John Straayer was pleased with the solution reached, but critical of the process leading up to the solution.

“I think its a good thing that they finally came to some resolution,” Straayer said. “But this whole process exemplifies the dysfunctions of Congress.”

According to Straayer, these dysfunctions originated from Republicans in Congress.

“The most immediate mess was created by the right wing, and mainly by the tea party,” Straayer said.

Because of this, Straayer said Republicans in Congress need to make change within their party’s strategies.

“I’m hopeful that the Republican party takes a lesson from this,” Straayer said. “If this episode triggers some move back to the middle from the Republican party, it would be great for the country.”

Though a temporary solution has been reached, the proposal extends until Jan. 15, at which time the debt ceiling debate may start again.

Collegian City Beat Reporter Caitlin Curley can be reached at news@collegian.com.