VIDEO UPDATE: CSU student shot four times near Horsetooth Road, now in critical condition

Update (Tuesday 12:09 p.m.)

The Fort Collins police officer involved in the shooting with Jordan Koehn has been identified as Officer Brinton Deighton. He has been a part of the Fort Collins Police Services since July 2011.

Deighton has been placed on paid administrative leave until the investigation is complete. This is a standard policy of the Fort Collins Police Services.

No officers were injured during the shooting.

Update (7:52 p.m.)

CSU student Jordan Koehn is now in critical condition after being shot by Fort Collins police Sunday night, according to a staff member from the Medical Center of the Rockies.

Update (5:48 p.m.)

After being shot four times on Sunday night by a Fort Collins police officer, Jordan Koehn, a Ph.D. candidate in chemistry at CSU, is now in fair condition, according to Kelly Tracer, a public relations specialist at the Medical Center of the Rockies.

The incident started when, at 6:42 p.m. Sunday night, police made contact with Koehn at the 3500 block of Stover Street, near East Horsetooth Road and South College Avenue, regarding a welfare check.

Shortly afterward, Koehn grabbed a firearm and pointed the weapon at himself and police. A police officer then fired four shots at Koehn, hitting him four times, according to a Fort Collins Police Services press release.

“I come out that door right there every morning so it was horrifying to even believe that something like this could happen so close,” said Casey Gollihugh, senior biology major who is living in same apartment complex as Koehn. “You know, you see all this stuff on the news and it’s just creepy.”

Koehn was allegedly highly intoxicated and suicidal, the release stated. He was immediately treated for wounds and transported to the Medical Center of the Rockies where he underwent surgery.

Update (2:11 p.m.)

After being shot four times last night, Jordan Koehn is alive.

Jordan’s mother, Donna Koehn, confirmed this afternoon that Jordan is still alive in the aftermath of the shooting.

“He’s alive right now, and that’s all I can tell you,” Donna said.

The Medical Center of the Rockies is not yet releasing any further information on Jordan’s condition.

Original story:

Fort Collins police fired four shots at Jordan Koehn, a Ph.D. candidate in chemistry at CSU, who had pointed a firearm at himself and police Sunday night, according to a Fort Collins Police Services press release.

Koehn was allegedly highly intoxicated and suicidal, the release stated.

At 6:42 p.m. that evening, police made contact with Koehn at the 3500 block of Stover Street, near East Horsetooth Road and South College Avenue, regarding a welfare check.

Shortly afterward, Koehn grabbed a firearm and pointed the weapon at police. One police officer then fired four shots at Koehn, hitting him four times.

Koehn was immediately treated for wounds and transported to the Medical Center of the Rockies where he underwent surgery. Koehn remains hospitalized at this time.

Police are now investigating the shooting. The police officer involved in the shooting has been put on paid administrative leave, per Fort Collins Police Services policy.

Police urge witnesses or anyone with possible information regarding the case to contact Detective Jaclyn Shaklee at 970-416-2771.

Developing. Stay with the Collegian for more information.

map