Interest in Kayaking is on a steady incline

Sea Kayaking at Wilsons Promontory in Victoria...
Sea Kayaking at Wilsons Promontory in Victoria, Australia (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

According to a recent article in the Toledo Blade, recreational kayaking’s popularity is on the rise.

Matt Markey and Jeff Basting helped unveil the recent popularity spike in the sport, discussing the reasons why in their article.

“Most people find out pretty quickly that kayaking is relatively simple to do, and it can take you a lot of places you can’t see from shore, or reach with bigger boats.”

According to the Blade, “Recreational kayaking grew by 27 percent in 2012, and is up 32 percent over the past three years, according to statistics compiled by The Outdoor Foundation.”

Kayaking can be done almost anywhere in the world. While some prefer to kayak around the beaches of islands, others will ride theirs through the waters in the high mountains of Colorado.

“After we take somebody out for their first kayaking experience and you see them coming back up from the water, they’re usually wearing a million dollar smile,” instructor Bob Pulhuj said. “It never fails – they are so pleased and so happy.”

For more information on why kayaking may be a fun sport for you, read this article.