RamRide numbers not affected by recent DUI arrest

RamRide numbers:Jan. 31 to Feb. 2: 1,096 RamRides home
Feb. 4: News breaks of a CSU student driving a RamRide car while under the influence of marijuana on Feb. 1.
Feb. 7 to Feb. 9: 1,141 RamRides home

Despite news of a CSU student driving a RamRide car while under the influence of marijuana on Feb. 1, the saferide program actually gave out more rides between Feb. 7 and Feb. 9.

Last weekend, RamRide gave 1,141 patrons a ride home. The weekend prior, Jan. 31 to Feb. 2, 1,096 people were given a ride home. Students began hearing about the high RamRide driver around Feb. 4.

Connor Rock, a sophomore marketing major, used RamRide this weekend and also said he thinks the recent arrest was an isolated incident.

“There are always mistakes that happen but I still felt comfortable calling RamRide because they’re really dependable and they’re a great choice to get home from a party,” Rock said. “I don’t think it’s representative of the organization at all. Anybody can make that same mistake.”

Green said she thinks the numbers speak for themselves: students have not lost trust in RamRide.

“This was an isolated incident that was out of our control so we are going to try to mitigate the risk as much as possible,” Green said. “(Students) can trust that we will be fixing policies to make sure the risk is very minimal for this happening again.”

RamRide has been evaluating its policies after volunteer Karl La Borde was arrested Feb. 1 on charges of speeding, DUI, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia while driving a RamRide car.

The RamRide advisory board is meeting Tuesday to review current policy and possibly revise volunteer requirements, according to ASCSU president Regina Martel.

“I hope students can continue to see how valuable the program is and that it will continue to be a safe ride home,” Martel said. “Every person working for the program is working to ensure that.”

RamRide director Chelsey Green said that while the incident has motivated RamRide staff to update their emergency procedures and policies, she does not think it affected students’ view of the organization. The weekend following the incident, the number of students who requested a ride home was consistent with the amount of calls the organization usually receives.

Current policy requires RamRide volunteers to sign two documents: a volunteer waiver and a driver navigator contract. Volunteers also need to have a student ID, driver’s license, health insurance and car insurance, according to ASCSU President Regina Martel.

Volunteers must also agree that they will only give callers a ride home – they cannot drive patrons to the bars or to a party.

They also agree to abstain from drugs and alcohol while volunteering.

“We want to make sure this is a safe ride home so any other things we can put in place to ensure that happens, we’re open to those suggestions,” Martel said.

RamRide policy will be reviewed on Tuesday at a meeting of the RamRide Advisory Board. The group consists of ASCSU President, ASCSU Chief of Staff, Director of RamRide and others.

“If anything, we’ll triple check the current policies and ensure they’re up to par,” Martel said.

While advisory board members could not speculate what changes would be made to the program as a result of this meeting, current policies will be reviewed and possible changes will be discussed.

“There are policies that need to be updated because I don’t want an incident like this to happen again,” Green said.