Gasoline Lollipops ignite Washington’s with eclectic style

a man plays the bass
Bradley Morse plays the bass during a show at Washington’s Oct. 4. After the show, Clay Rose, the vocalist and acoustic guitar player, explained that the band is like a quilt, and “each bandmate and each song and each audience member is a patch in this quilt.” (Ryan Schmidt | Collegian)

Colorado locals Gasoline Lollipops gave a lively performance at Washington’s on Oct. 4, following the Fort Collins band Maxwell Mud.

Both bands brought an exciting blend of genres, as well as intoxicating personalities, to their live performances.

Maxwell Mud’s style is a combination of blues, rock and country with an original twist. They perfectly mix new and old into something truly their own.

“Before concerts, I try to (not) have anyone nag me or make me feel bad about anything,” said Brian Kittrell, lead singer and guitarist for Maxwell Mud. “I like to drink 2 1/2 beers and do as many push-ups and pull-ups as I can, then play guitar for about an hour and do a little bit of shrieking and yodeling, and that gets me in a good headspace.”

Most of the time, Maxwell Mud is a powerhouse for chaotic and danceable rock tunes, but they can be deeply personal and vulnerable at the same time. The band has an ability to evoke the solos and breakdowns of classic rock but still stay with the times lyrically and musically.

The mix of country and blues as both bands’ main influences, along with Washington’s rustic aesthetic, leads to a show reminiscent of dance halls or country saloons. However, both groups also bring punk, rock and psychedelic influences, which add a new dimension to their energies and attitudes. 

We use different styles to showcase different emotions within the song. If the song needs a particular style, we do it.” –Bradley Morse, bassist of Gasoline Lollipops

By the end of the night, nearly the entire audience was dancing in some sort of hybrid between square dancing and a mosh pit. Even if audience members didn’t know the words, they were clapping and dancing along to whatever was thrown at them.

A core section of the audience comprised of die-hard fans for Gasoline Lollipops. The fans committed to their songs and kept the energy up for over an hour-long set.

“Brian (Kittrell) came backstage and said something about how diverse the audience was,” said Clay Rose, lead singer of Gasoline Lollipops. “I love that we can bring a wide group of people together like that.”

The crowd was a mix of all ages and different types of fans, from classic country cowboys to younger punks. The crowd’s atmosphere was rowdy the entire night, which led to high participation and interaction between the audience and the bands.

I like to drink 2 1/2 beers and do as many push-ups and pull-ups as I can…” -Brian Kittrell, lead singer and guitarist for Maxwell Mud.

“I think the diversity of our music is what brings so many different people,” Rose said. “We are just like the fans. As a band, we span a couple generations, from 27-54, and we have backgrounds coming from classical and jazz to country and punk.”

This eclectic style is what makes Gasoline Lollipops so compelling; they aren’t tied down to anything besides making music that fits them.

“We use different styles to showcase different emotions within the song. If the song needs a particular style, we do it,” said Bradley Morse, bassist of Gasoline Lollipops. “I think it’s a good mix because nowadays everyone can listen to everything. There’s so (many) eclectic tastes, so why not incorporate all these things into one band?”

Gasoline Lollipops is an amalgamation of many things; their music is less a mosaic or collage and more of a collection of stories told around a campfire. All their songs come from different places and use various means to say what they want, but no matter where the band draws from, they will always tell their story.

Joel Thompson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @probably_joel