Album Review: Megan Thee Stallion delivers on debut album ‘Good News’

Vintage record player against a yellow background.
Collegian Album Reviews Graphic (Katrina Clasen | The Collegian)

Hot girls run the world, and Megan Thee Stallion is our leader. With the release of her debut album “Good News,” the “Houston hottie” further asserts her dominance in the industry with a sharp delivery and a commanding presence. 

In a year that’s granted Megan Thee Stallion extreme highs — like scoring two Billboard number-one singles, “Savage Remix” ft. Beyoncé and “WAP” with Cardi B — and with extreme lows — like being shot — “Good News” makes meaning from such extremes.” 

“Good News” is an ode to the artist Megan Thee Stallion has become. On her previous works, “Make It Hot,” the forever iconic “Tina Snow,” “Fever” and “Suga,” we got to know Megan Thee Stallion for her wit, confidence and unwavering power. “Good News” takes all of this a step further in a fun celebration of who she is, where she’s been and where she’s going. 

In a year that’s granted Megan Thee Stallion extreme highs — like scoring two Billboard number-one singles, “Savage Remix” ft. Beyoncé and “WAP” with Cardi B — and with extreme lows — like getting shot — “Good News” makes meaning from such extremes.

The album starts off strong, with “Shots Fired” addressing the shooting incident and reminding the audience why she’s the only one worth talking about. Megan Thee Stallion says, “Who you takin’ shots at, goofy-ass b*tch? Watchin’ me succeed from your knees, suckin’ d*ck.” “Shots Fired” is a clever thesis statement that masterfully asserts her dominance. 

From there, she spends the rest of the album reveling in her success with ass-shaking, money-making and male-dominating hits. Her most notable performances, aside from “Shots Fired,” are “Circles,” “Freaky Girls” ft. SZA and “Body,” all of which showcase her influence within the industry. 

In some ways, “Freaky Girls” ft. SZA stands as a tribute to other women who’ve paved the way for artists like Megan Thee Stallion. The song samples Adina Howard’s 1995 single “Freak Like Me,” taking a refreshingly contemporary spin on the single. Featuring SZA was a genius flex of artistry showing her versatility. 

“Body” isn’t Megan Thee Stallion’s strongest performance; however, it’s an infectious single which embraces her audience. It’s another example of Megan Thee Stallion’s likeability, and “Body” deserves the same success as her other popular singles. 

‘Good News’ features DaBaby, City Girls, Lil Durk, SZA, Popcaan, Mustard, Big Sean, 2 Chainz, Beyoncé and Young Thug, yet it seems that Megan Thee Stallion is out of these artists’ leagues. Aside from her features with City Girls, Beyoncé and SZA, Megan Thee Stallion outperformed most of her features. Songs like “Cry Baby” ft. DaBaby, or “Go Crazy” ft. Big Sean and 2 Chainz are a bit forgettable because the only parts worth listening to are Megan Thee Stallion’s. These features show her versatility and ability to work with others but aren’t her best pieces of work. 

The place where the album feels the weakest is with songs like “Intercourse,” “Don’t Rock Me To Sleep” and “Outside.” Each one seems like it’s trying to reach a larger audience, which is fine, though real Megan Thee Stallion fans won’t be impressed. These singles copy and paste the hot girl attitude into something palatable for new fans. They’re by no means bad, but the rest of the album is better.

In regard to Megan Thee Stallion’s audience, this album is not for haters, misogynistic men or women whose personalities rely on the male gaze. If you didn’t know by now, having a hot girl attitude means you love yourself, you use men like the pieces of meat they are and you focus on your goals. If that’s not you, the album is not for you. 

What sets Megan Thee Stallion apart from other artists is her ability to engage her audience through her own personal empowerment. When Megan Thee Stallion feels good, we all feel good. At this point, she has nothing else to prove. Megan Thee Stallion is the moment, and “Good News” is a reflection of her influence. This is Megan Thee Stallion’s world, and we are invited to celebrate with her.

Jorge Espinoza can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @jorgespinoza14.