10 must-watch Halloween classics for your spooky season

Halloween is a great time to cozy on up with a warm drink and watch a good movie. With Halloween festivities widely disrupted by the pandemic, here’s a list of great Halloween movies to give you a thrill.

1. “Beetlejuice” (1988)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! You can never go wrong with a classic Tim Burton film that involves ghosts and the devious poltergeist Beetlejuice, portrayed by Michael Keaton. This is a must-watch movie if you are interested in fantasy comedy that borders on the line of just plain weirdness.

2. “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” is another Tim Burton classic for not only Halloween but also Christmas. Whether it’s spooky season or happy holidays, this is a great stop-motion film for anyone not wanting something too scary and for anyone who loves to sing along with the characters.

3. “The Addams Family” (1991)

The Addams family isn’t your typical family, and the search for a long-lost brother and a possible scam is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. The film is full of dark humor and is so amusing that anyone can enjoy it. Again, this is a great film to watch if you want something different and a little odd but not too scary.

4. “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975)

If you like weird and bizarre films, this is the one for you. The story is moved along with dances and rock songs that will make you want to “do the Time Warp again!” For anyone who likes musicals and Halloween, this is a great movie that you can watch any time of the year.

5. “Hocus Pocus” (1993)

“Hocus Pocus” is a great, chaotic spiral of events. This movie has what you need for Halloween: witches, spells and black cats. Salem witches coming back from the dead can be something terrifying to think about, but the movie is comedically thrilling.

6. “Ghostbusters” (1984)

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters! This is a more lighthearted, funny approach to a scarier subject. A gang of ghosts and ghouls haunting New York City is sure to gain anyone’s interest. Plus, the hilarious dialogue between characters makes this movie a great comedy.

7. “Halloween” (1978)

What better to watch on Halloween than “Halloween” itself? This is a great movie if you are the type of person who likes old slasher films. After escaping from the mental hospital, Michael Myers is expected to kill again, but who? The film is suspenseful and a great movie to watch with the lights off and a bowl of popcorn.

8. “Halloweentown” (1998)

A Disney Channel original, this Halloween movie follows a family of witches as they come together to help defeat something evil. This movie has some twists and turns that make it interesting to watch and to try to figure out what is truly going on. This is an entertaining movie for the family to watch for the holidays.

9. “The Shining” (1980)

Living in Colorado, the best choice for a Halloween movie would be Stanley Kubrick’s “The Shining.” Based off of Stephen King’s novel by the same name, the story’s setting is inspired by the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. The caretaker of the hotel going crazy and people seeing ghosts are things that can get anyone into the spooky Halloween mood. “The Shining” is a great psychological horror movie with some scary moments and eerie themes.

10. “Psycho” (1960)

A classic thriller, Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” is known as one of his best works. The movie, based on American killer Ed Gein, can be something terrifying for all ages and will make you sit on the edge of your seat, wanting more.

Kadyn Thorpe can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @ThorpeKadyn.