Collegian Picks: Television shows to binge during quarantine

As it turns out, coping with cabin fever is more difficult than it seems. The current trends floating around online indicate that people are slowly descending into madness, burying themselves in mundane domestic tasks like making bread or completely embracing the absurdity of the situation by howling at the moon.

Whether these newfound hobbies are actually filling the social distancing void remains to be determined, but we do know that now is a better time than ever to finally check off the list of television recommendations you’ve been putting aside in lieu of school work and a social life. 

If you don’t have any recommendations on your list, here are some of our favorite series to binge during the quarantine. 

Lauryn Bolz

In my humble opinion, the best decision Netflix has made to date is gifting the fantastical, raunchy German drama “Babylon Berlin” to American audiences. 

From the minds of Hendrik Handloegten, Tom Tykwer and Achim von Borries, this late 1920s mobster drama/musical/romance has transformed my time in quarantine from dull and monotonous to a glittering vision of the golden days of Berlin. 

The masterpiece introduces us uncultured Americans to the beautiful faces of Liv Lisa Fries, Volker Bruch and Severija Janušauskaitė. However, it does not just replace a storyline with beautiful faces and costumes like Hollywood has the tendency to do. The plot of “Babylon Berlin” is gruesome, sexy and riveting.

Get your head out of your *ss and read some subtitles. It will really change your life. 

Monty Daniel

Right now, I think we all need a reason to laugh. That’s why my go-to show has been the one and only “Brooklyn Nine-Nine.” 

Following the high jinks of detectives at the 99th precinct of the New York Police Department in Brooklyn, New York, this show has it all: wit, emotion and drama. Why look for a love story, buddy comedy or investigative piece when this show has all of those elements?

With a stellar cast full of heavy hitters like Andy Samberg and Terry Crews, on top of a whole slew of fresh actors and actresses, this is a show brimming with talent. With their variety of backgrounds, they each bring their unique personalities to the screen. 

Known for having unforgettable opening sequences, a series of hilarious running jokes and signature catchphrases, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is a binge-worthy show that will provide hours of entertainment during this quarantine. 

Ty Davis

Personally, the show that’s been getting me through this quarantine is the off-kilter but lovable comedy “Letterkenny.”

The show takes place in rural Letterkenny, Ontario, and follows the antics of Wayne, his sister, Katy, and his friends Dan and Daryl as they deal with a myriad of problems. But what makes the show so watchable are the stories of the hicks themselves along with a pair of brainless hockey players, the local meth dealers and a whole host of other colorful characters.

The comedy is sharp, creative and incredibly quick-witted. Look away for one second and you might miss a multipart joke chock-full of Canadian slang.

What makes this a go-to show for me is how the show invites you in and makes you feel like you’re alongside the characters, cracking jokes with them. It’s a certain type of comedy I’ve only been able to describe as buddy comedy. It has the type of jokes you would make with your friends and reiterate over and over until the joke got tired.

In addition, it has a way of referring and calling back to itself that makes you feel like a part of the town as you go, “Hey, I remember that.” It really makes you feel like one of the characters. Well pitter-patter, get at ‘er.

Emily Pisqui

I have been watching Apple TV’s “The Morning Show,” starring Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carell. I swept through all 10 episodes in one week.

This show is a drama surrounding the #MeToo movement and women in power. I highly recommend this show for anyone interested in what the television reporting world is like.

Another show I have been watching is “Gentefied” on Netflix, a comedy show about diversity with amazing Latinx representation. This show will make you crave some real street tacos.

Another show to watch is “Home Before Dark” on Apple TV, a dark mystery surrounding a cold case in a small town. The main character is a 9-year-old self-claimed investigative reporter. This will keep you entertained during your long quarantine hours.

Scotty Powell

As someone who has dedicated my life to sitting mindlessly in front of screens watching movies and then sitting mindlessly in front of other screens writing about them, I’m sad to say that I actually do not watch too many serial dramas.

It seems like every one of these shows starts out with a pilot episode containing about four hundred different characters and backstories that are absolutely crucial for the audience to know, memorize and be able to recite on cue in order for the rest of the show to make any sense. It’s overwhelming.

I feel like I have to sit with a giant spreadsheet containing the name, photo and backstory of each character to reference while I’m watching if I’m going to make any sense of what’s going on.

Thus, I tend to stick to anthology series when I flick on the old tube. And the best anthology series running today is without a doubt “Black Mirror.” Charlie Brooker’s mind is like a rabid squirrel tripping on LSD, and it’s a sheer delight to watch.

Plus, “Black Mirror” is one of the few shows that displays an authentic understanding of the deep and complex psychological consequences of a society built on rapidly developing technology. It’s sharp, it’s timely and, most importantly, it doesn’t make too many demands of your memory or attention span.

Elena Waldman

Prior to quarantine, I would usually choose television shows based off of how well they served as background noise. Now that I can stand to give my undivided attention to the screen, I’ve found that bad TV is better for uplifting your spirits than critically acclaimed series.

It’s not one of my best habits, but it is hilariously fun to watch a total disaster of a show unfold. Recently, Iliza Shlesinger’s comedy sketch show, titled “The Iliza Shlesinger Sketch Show,” was released on Netflix, and it’s just perfectly awful. The script is forced, the actors are even less funny than the main writer, the editing is awkward, the jokes are stale and the whole thing seems utterly uninspiring and pointless — even so, it’s a lot of fun to watch.  

The Arts and Culture Desk can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com