Collegian playlists: Songs to get you in the mood for Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day can mean a different range of emotions. The corny, lovey dovey, heart-shaped-candy-eating mood is considered V-Day canon, but this cheery optimism isn’t felt by everyone. 

Some are in love, some are bitterly single and some are just living their best life. Regardless of what you’re feeling, there is sure to be a song out there that matches your emotions. 

Here are a few songs for those in all areas and perspectives on love: from the utterly smitten to the totally jaded. 

For falling in love: 

Raveena- “Headaches”

You may come across someone that you weren’t expecting to come into your life and leave an impression. With this, though, always comes the unknown and the fear of falling too hard and getting hurt. Raveena is talking about this in her song “Headaches.” 

Unexpected and exciting love is what I know some of us wish we had on Valentine’s Day. We want someone who keeps us on our toes and in the unknown of what is going to come out of this love. Raveena’s “Headaches” emulates just this — she pairs a sweet melody with a soft guitar to create a colorful and happy song, making you feel a sense of fun in new love.

“I wasn’t in the mood for love/ But you’re quite funny/ I see that you want me” is the start of the first verse in “Headaches.” 

Raveena is singing about the feeling of wanting to be single but having that single independence ruined by an unexpected love interest.

“Don’t play with my heart/ I’m tryna be smart,” Raveena sings, referring to the fear of falling too hard for someone and the unknown of relationships and love.

If your crush won’t stop playing:

SG Lewis x Clairo- “Better”

Many people want to be boo’d on this day of love, but unfortunately some people have to deal with unclear signals from their crush. Clairo’s soft sound paired with SG Lewis’ DJing on “Better” creates a fun and chill sound that naturally makes you want to dance. Even though the song is talking about an unreliable love interest, it still has a glint of hopefulness. 

“I know it isn’t right/ You creep into the night,” Clairo sings, acknowledging that the person that she likes only comes around when it is convenient for them, and she knows that she could be getting played. 

“Maybe you want a friend/ Maybe not in this life/ Why is it so hard, hard to please you/ All I wanted was you in my room,” she says, meaning the timing may be off, but she wants to see where things go. In this song, Clairo laments that she has put in work to show that she likes this person but can’t understand their intentions. It’s the modern “This could be us, but you playin’” for soft indie fans. 

Clairo is just asking her potential boo if they could try a little harder because she has been putting in the work. This song is quite relatable for those who are crushing hard but can’t seem to get anywhere with their love interest. 

For those who are jaded:

Joji- “Run” 

Unfortunately, around this sweet and loving time, some may be a little sad and jaded about their love life. Falling out of love and getting your heart broken around Valentine’s Day is less than ideal. Joji’s new single “Run” is the perfect song for this jaded pain. The song talks about knowing that your significant other is falling out of love with you and the pain that you’re left feeling while they go on, leaving you confused. 

In the chorus, “I know you’re not in love, like you used to be,” Joji talks about how he realized that his significant other is no longer wanting to be in this relationship. Joji talks about running away from the feeling of losing someone that he loves so dearly — hence the title, “Run.” 

The artist is known for his sad and dark pop sound tied together with deep and truthful lyrics. This is a perfect song for those feeling a little sad on this Valentine’s Day due to a recent heartbreak. Sometimes you really do just have to cry it out and listen to some Joji on Valentine’s Day. 

For single livin’:

Adult Mom“Be Your Own 3am”

For single folks on V-Day, there are two options: either wallow and be a sad single or boss up and live your best single life. Adult Mom’s “Be Your Own 3am” is for those who may have experienced a recent heartbreak but are ready to live their life again and do their own thing as a new single. Adult Mom’s tasty soft punk sound is angelic and soothing.

The beginning of the song is talking about the heartbreak that the artist is facing. She says “I took my shoes off, crawled into bed/ Thought I had nothin’ left.” 

Many people have had their heart broken into pieces so bad that they would rather lay in bed and forget about everything that is going on. Adult Mom is not wallowing though; she is getting herself out of bed and planning to live a new single life. 

“Now I hold my own hands in crowds of bands and my friends/ Jan always says to me, ‘You gotta be your own 3am,’” she sings. Adult Mom urges her listeners to know their worth despite the debris of a broken heart, but she reminds them that there is so much more than that. Even though you may be single, you have the ones that love you and things that make you feel like the bad b*tch you are. 

For ride or dies:

Vince Staples, 6LACK, Mereba- “Yo Love”

Some people really just deserve it all, and you know you’d do anything for them. If the love that you have is rare and something worth fighting for, “Yo Love” by Vince Staples, 6LACK and Mereba, made for the “Queen & Slim” soundtrack, may be a song to listen to this V-Day. It’s a hip-hop and new R&B sound for the “ride or die” lovers. 

6LACK starts off the chorus with “I’d do life for your love/ I would probably swing a knife for your love.” It’s a rather serious sentiment, but it’s a great metaphor to show how much he would do to keep the love of his life. 

“Go against everything right for your love,” 6LACK continues, solidifying this song as the perfect tune for “ride or die” couples — those who are willing to literally do anything to fight for their valentine. 

Arrion Smith can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @arriesmith__