9 songs to spookify your Halloween playlist

Christmas music holds a special place in many people’s hearts. Near the holiday season you’ll hear those jingles just about every where you go. But where’s the love for Halloween music? From tunes about goblins and ghouls dancing in the night to duos with the devil, Halloween music is radical.

Here are a handful of spook-tacular jams to shake your boo-ty to.

Billie Eilish – “bury a friend”

With distorted vocals and reverberating bassline, this song will surely shiver your spine. Billie Eilish has said this song is from “the perspective of the monster under my bed.” The haunting lyrics that ask, “Why don’t you run from me?” make this sound like one scary monster!

Geto Boys – “Mind Playing Tricks on Me”

“Mind Playing Tricks on Me” is the essential hip-hop paranoia anthem. The Geto Boys were one of hip-hops first musicians to speak on the stresses and paranoia that come with being a gangster rapper. The song tells the story of how this lifestyle has the Geto Boys hallucinating stalkers and chasing ghosts.

Iron Maiden – “The Number of the Beast”

“Six, six, six! The number of the Beast! Hell and fire was spawned to be released.”

These lyrics speak for themselves, people.

Talking Heads – “Psycho Killer”

When released as a single in December of 1977, “Psycho Killer” was instantly associated with David Berkowitz, the “Son of Sam” serial killer. While Talking Heads members have consistently said they found no inspiration from the notorious murders, the song was written from the perspective of a serial killer, based on Norman Bates from the film “Psycho.”

Andre 3000 – “Dracula’s Wedding”

Off of the OutKast double album “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below,” this Andre 3000 track epitomizes the sound he was looking to bring to hip-hop. Andre plays the role of Dracula, with R&B singer Kelis playing his queen (and laying down some beautiful vocals).

Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Bad Moon Rising”

John Fogerty and band sets these dystopian lyrics to a fairly jolly tune. “Don’t go around tonight/It’s bound to take your life!”

Kanye West feat. JAY-Z, Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross, Bon Iver – “Monster”

That Nicki Minaj verse just puts all the others to shame. This song is chock full of horror and scary movie references. The music video is fittingly dark and filled with horror-related imagery.

The Charlie Daniels Band – “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”

“The Devil Went Down to Georgia” is a classic knee-slappin’ bluegrass song. It tells the tale of the devil’s failed attempt to steal the soul of a fiddle-player named Johnny. Johnny triumphs over the devil and wins a fiddle made of gold, but that doesn’t mean it was a good idea!

Bobby Pickett – “Monster Mash”

It was a graveyard smash!

Matt Davis can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @mattdavis27