Write Minded shakes the Aggie floor with radical performance

• Singer Sam Mouton raises his hand and dances on stage during the Write Minded concert at the Aggie Theatre on Nov. 10th. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• Singer Sam Mouton from the Fort Collins band Write Minded performs during their headlining show at the Aggie Theatre on Nov. 10th. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• The Fort Collins band Write Minded headlines a concert at the Aggie Theatre on Nov. 10th. (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

• (Matt Begeman | Collegian)

Local band Write Minded left the Aggie shook on Saturday night with their funky grooves. 

concert
(Matt Begeman | Collegian)

Sam Mouton and Jesse Neth are the lead vocalists of the group with Wilson Slaughter on the keyboard, Forrester Tamkun on guitar, Jarod Ford on bass and Jordan Pasquin on drums. The group formed in 2015 and records locally in The Blasting Room as their own record label.

The hour and a half long set had energy which never wavered. Neth and Mouton sang head-to-head a few times during duet portions, which enhanced the sense of unity in the band. Slaughter kept the beats funky on the board and drawing in that original artistic aspect of the group. Tamkun shredded on the guitar, finger plucking up the neck and hitting quick, high notes. Ford rocked the stage with his always-wild moves and a killer bass solo. 

Pasquin is the newest addition and I was impressed with his performance and how natural he had blended with the band. His face expressed his passion on the drums and the hard work he had put in over the past few months to have perfect timing on every song.

“I just haven’t been in a band like Write Minded genre-wise,” Pasquin said. “It took me a while to figure out how to go about playing the music, but now I feel like I’ve hit my stride.”

A combination of stage lighting and member arrangement set the mood accordingly to every song. Their performance of “Of The Night”, a creepy tune with a major mental message, had minimal lighting with blue backlights to compliment the feel. Once the band said their closing number, they were cheered back on stage for an encore. The set officially ended with their hit “Perfect Day” for the encore performance.

Write Minded music is available for streaming on Spotify.

The band was very appreciative and interactive with the audience. Mouton went to the edge of the stage to sing to the people, Neth was handing out high-fives and fist bumps all night while the other members made acknowledging head nods to fans. I myself was front row, fangirling and shouting words of encouragement. My dedication to the band was also noted and appreciated by the members.

It was a magical sight to see this local group perform with a dedicated audience singing along to practically every song. The setlist included new songs unheard by the public. The few songs will appear on a new EP which the band is currently working on. Songs will drop one at a time over the course of the next six months, the first one coming by the end of November.

Band name ‘Write Minded’ grew from the band’s countless attempts of other names and finally landing on something identifiable. The right state of mind, the right and creative side of the mind and the ability to write came together to make Write Minded.

The band proudly writes and records their own music. Their writing process is a synchronized mashed up where everyone gets to write their own interpretation of the song and it comes together in harmony. The band hopes to grow their music sharing and fanbase outside of Colorado. 

The band says a dream would be to make music, travel and share their message with the world as a full-time career. Another goal is to be known as the band that breaks genres and to make their mark in the music industry. In the end, it’s all about the message.

“When someone comes up to us after a show and tells us our music has inspired them or changed their lives…” Mouton said, “That’s more important than making it big,” Ford added.

Shay Rego can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com