CSU Jazz Combos Concert welcomes creativity from all majors

CSU Students Jack Herrington, Joe Hoffarth, Thad Alberty, and Associate Professor Peter Sommer play during a Jazz Combo Number 1 practice. Jazz Combo Number 1, Thoughts for Food, which will be performing at the Jazz Combos Concert on Wednesday, Nov. 7 at 7:30 PM at the UCA. (Matt Tackett | Collegian)

Colorado State University students know how to jazz it up. 

Combos Director Shilo Stroman and CSU student musicians will perform original compositions and arrangements in the Griffin Concert Hall at the University Center for the Arts on Wednesday, Nov. 7 at 7:30 p.m. Peter Sommer, saxophone teacher and director of jazz studies, is greatly anticipating the show and encourages non-music major students to attend.

“This will be a fun concert featuring jazz classics as well as student arrangements and compositions,” Sommer said. “We always make a point to feature the creativity of our jazz students, both music majors and non-majors. It will be a swinging and exciting show.” 

According to Sommer, the upcoming performance will feature Jazz Combos I and II named “Food for Thought” and “Thoughts for Food.” Both groups will have six members each, three wind instruments and a rhythm section comprising of a piano, a bass and drums.

The CSU Events website describes the performers as “the swinging innovators of America’s art form.” It also describes the event itself as “a night of dynamic group interplay and exciting and thoughtful creations.”

In the future, Sommer encourages those interested, regardless of major, to become involved with jazz studies and audition for one of the University’s ensembles next semester.

“If any CSU students are interested in auditioning to play in one of our ensembles, we hold auditions just before the start of each semester and audition information can be found at music.colostate.edu,” Sommer said. “We especially look for students who play piano, guitar, bass and drums, as well as the traditional jazz horns – saxophone, trombone and trumpet.”

Tickets for the performance may be found here. Tickets are $10 for adults, $3 for public under 18 and free for current CSU students.

Henry Netherland can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @NetherlandHenry.