5 movies from 2018 to watch over fall break

Fall break is quickly approaching and that means some time off. So, with a few allotted days of free time, students can kick back and relax and catch up on some things that they might have missed while huddled in the library studying and writing essays. 

This year has been a surprisingly good year for movies. Everything from new horror movie reboots to epic superhero stories have been showcased this year, and it may have been hard to catch all of them in theaters. 

There are quite a few to choose from and narrowing that list down can be time-consuming, so here are five movies from this year to watch over fall break. 

1. “Black Panther”

When observed from the outside, seeing the amount of hype preceding the movie itself can lead someone to question whether the film earned the attention it received. Usually by this time a wave of people would be reflecting on this movie and asking why people were so excited in the first place, or why they didn’t notice some of the finer discrepancies. But, “Black Panther” really is all it was lauded to be and more.

By using the superhero narrative, “Black Panther” not only told a rich a family drama but an insightful socio-political message that also addressed a problem in the very same lore in the film’s source material.

1. “Solo: A Star Wars Story”

The films initial reception became so focused on the box office figures that talk of it eclipsed any discussion of the film’s quality, and subsequently many did not see it, assuming the failure to meet projections meant it was a bad movie, despite it making millions of dollars. Unfortunately, this caused many to miss a genuinely good addition to the “Star Wars” universe.

“Solo” delivers a fun, spirited, adventure-heist film that is infinitely rewatchable. It’s a fun romp that honestly deserved more than it received.

For those staying in Fort Collins over break, local theatre The Lyric shows New movies almost every week including this year’s limited release films.

1. “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?”

By my own confession I do not care much for non-fiction in general, nor do I try to review documentaries if avoidable. But, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” is one of the few exceptions to my rule. A brilliantly paced and edited examination of the life of Fred Rogers that at several points brought me and audience members to full tears by the sheer magnitude of the man’s capacity to spread love.  The film remind us all that we are not only capable of love, but worthy of being loved.

1. “The Miseducation of Cameron Post”

The mark of any worthwhile piece of art is one that occupies your thoughts long after you’ve seen it. “Cameron Post” is that film and it has popped into my mind time and time again. While my initial review was lukewarm, I have since come to thoroughly appreciate the film and its execution. “Cameron Post” is a film that refuses to hold your hand as it walks you through one of the most conflicting, scary and tumultuous times in a young LGBTQ life in one of the most terrifying situations they could be in. This is a film beautiful in its sincere honesty, while terrifyingly brutal in its unflinching depictions and it deserves far more attention than it has received.

1. “Searching”

One of the best movies of this year, the positive reception of “Searching” dissipated quickly. Starring John Cho as a father whose daughter has disappeared, the film is shot entirely from the perspective of a computer desktop. Doubling as one of the most interesting filmmaking challenges in recent memory, “Searching” manages to put you through wave after wave of suspense as you (the audience) gradually piece together truth along with Kim, while going through a heart-tugging experience that feels all too familiar.

Ty Davis can be reached at entertianment@collegian.com or on Twitter @tydavisacw