FoCoMX celebrates local music with a large selection of bands and venues

• The Heartstring Hunters perform at Equinox Brewing at the 10th annual FoCoMX. The Heartstring Hunters are an indie acoustic folk band based in Boulder. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• At the 10th annual FoCoMX, the festival brought back the Silent Disco from the 4th and 5th years. The Silent Disco, which took place in Old Town Square, consisted of dancing to music that could only be heard through headphones. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• The Velveteers perform at the Downtown Artery for the 10th annual FoCoMX. The Velveteers are a heavy rock band from Boulder, Colorado. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Demi Deitro with The Velveteers perform at the Downtown Artery for the 10th annual FoCoMX. The Velveteers are a heavy rock band from Boulder, Colorado. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Terrah Schultz with Rat Doctor performs at the Aggie Theater for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Rat Doctor, a Fort Collins band which goes against the idea of a genre defining their music, performs music they describe as groovy, dynamic and cool. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Nick Duarte with Post Paradise performs at the Aggie Theater for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Post Paradise is a seasoned Colorado band that performs indie alternative rock music. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Amy Morgan and Ed Ziehm with Post Paradise perform at the Aggie Theater for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Post Paradise is a Colorado band that performs indie alternative rock music. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Mirror Fields performs at the Mainline Ale House for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Mirror Fields is a Fort Collins based band that performs music that merges psychedelia, folk and art rock. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Greta Cornett and Ben Prytherch perform with Mama Lenny and the Remedy at the Downtown Artery for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Mama Lenny and the Remedy is a Fort Collins based R&B Soul Funk band, and packed the Downtown Artery to capacity during their performance. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Laniece Schleicher with Mama Lenny and the Remedy performs at the Downtown Artery for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Mama Lenny and the Remedy is a Fort Collins based R&B Soul Funk band, and packed the Downtown Artery to capacity during their performance. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Kelly Keeler with Mama Lenny and the Remedy performs at the Downtown Artery for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Mama Lenny and the Remedy is a Fort Collins based R&B Soul Funk band, and packed the Downtown Artery to capacity during their performance. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Kent Washington, a senior at Colorado State University studying theater, performs at the Aggie Theater for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Washington is a Fort Collins based rapper who is unapologetic in his lyrics and strives to create platforms to promote local hip hop artists. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Charlie Maddocks, a sophomore at Colorado State University studying computer science and a member of the band Holdfast., performs at the Aggie Theater for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Holdfast. is a rock pop band based in Fort Collins, and all of the band members are brothers. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Boat Drinks, a Denver based indie- alternative band, performs at Illegal Pete’s for the 10th annual FoCoMX (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Joshua Rivera and Eric Romero perform with Autumn Burn at The Whisk(e)y for the 10th annual FoCoMX. Autumn Burn is a local Fort Collins band that creates modern hard rock music. (Julia Trowbridge | Collegian)

• Jakob Muller plays with Slow Caves at Hodi’s Half Note during their FoCoMX performance on April 27, 2018. (Ashley Potts | Collegian)

• Oliver Muller plays with Slow Caves at Hodi’s Half Note during their FoCoMX performance on April 27, 2018. (Ashley Potts | Collegian)

Across all genres of music and ages of musicians, the Fort Collins Music eXperiment kept Old Town alive throughout Friday, April 27 and Saturday, April 28.

For its 10th annual festival, FoCoMX had around 7,500 band members, plus ones, sponsors and other attendees in the community watching over 300 bands at over 30 venues. That is more people than there’s ever been before, according to Greta Cornett, one of the co-founders of FoCoMX. 

“Almost everything went better than we expected,” Cornett said. “The weather was amazing, the performances were amazing, the crowds were amazing.”

FoCoMX tries out new experimental additions each year to see how well they do, and this year’s new additions, like the Silent Disco in Old Town Square and the 53:14 music film festival were also successes for this year, Greta said. 

Overall, the Fort Collins Music Association puts this weekend-long festival of local music on in order to support local music and to give community members the ability to check out a lot of the talent Fort Collins has to offer. 

“I just love our Fort Collins community,” Cornett said. “They come out and support local music so much, and just to feel that love all weekend, it was really cool. Everyone was really excited to go see local bands. And that’s what it’s all about.”

Collegian reporter Julia Trowbridge can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on twitter @chapin_jules.