Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal to bring the funk to Hodi’s on Valentine’s Day

Hodi’s is getting funky this Valentine’s Day.

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Soul/funk band Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal are making their Hodi’s Half Note debut on Valentine’s Day. According to a press release, the band has been busy making a new record and playing an average of 150 shows a year.

Frontman and keyboard player Josh Hoyer said he started performing at a very young age. His father entered him in a talent show at the age of six in his hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska.

“I was always singing and dancing around the house,” Hoyer said. “Just always had music in my bones I guess.”

Hoyer describes the band’s show as high energy. He stresses the importance of putting everything he has into his performances.

“First off, I got a really killer band,” Hoyer said. “Great players on all instruments. When we play live, it’s very high energy. Pretty intense. If you’re gonna play that kind of music, you got to put your whole self into it. We like to do that and get sweaty, let it all hang out and have a good time with it.”

Hoyer said they have something to fill everyone’s needs this Valentine’s Day.

“If it’s a date night for some people on Valentine’s Day, come out,” Hoyer said. “We got some ballads if people want to slow dance and get next to each other. And then for the unlucky lovers, we got the super funky stuff. Get out there and shake it all out.”

I was always singing and dancing around the house. Just always had music in my bones I guess.” -Josh Hoyer, frontman and keyboard player of Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal

Guitarist Ben Kushner said the band has acquired new members who add to the dynamics of the band and live performance. The new members are bass player Mike Keeling and Blake DeForest on the trumpet.

“I think that we are in a really cool place now because we have a couple of new members that are really feeding the music with a new energy,” Kushner said. “The bass player, I’ve played with him for years in different bands, Mike Keeling, he’s got a really solid thumping sounds that’s just so right for this band. Blake Deforest, the trumpet player that joined us here this winter, versus a tenor saxophone, I think the trumpet lends the band kind of a more percussive, angular sort of a vibe meaning the trumpet is just naturally more percussive in the way the attack happens on the mouthpiece versus the sax.”

Josh Hoyer & Soul Colossal play at Hodi’s Half Note on Feb. 14. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show ends at 1:30 a.m. Tickets can be purchased on Hodi’s website.

Hoyer was a contestant on the reality show The Voice and was a member of Team Blake Shelton. Hoyer said it was a learning experience.

“It was different,” said Hoyer. “I’m not really cut out for Hollywood, but it was a cool experience. I learned a lot from it. How I equate it is it took me a while to kind of understand it, but I think that those shows are cool because they let you and a bunch of other singers that were really great be heard by the masses. A lot people watch that show. If people take the extra length to check out your original music, then I think it’s served its purpose. Otherwise, it’s just like doing karaoke on TV.”

Collegian reporter Jonny Rhein can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @jonnyrhein.