Bastille to headline Red Rocks after captivating listeners with new album

Indie-pop band Bastille will headline Red Rocks Amphitheater on Oct. 7 at the Jeep on the Rocks event with Andrew McMahon, and those in attendance will be some of the first people to hear music off their new album “Wild World” that was released just last month.

Bastille is composed of four immediate members with Dan Smith on vocals,Will Farquarson on lead guitar and backup vocals, Kyle Simmons on keyboard and Chris “Woody” Wood on drums. Recently, the band added additional touring member Charlie Barnes.

Since the bands initial debut in 2012, they have added more mix tapes to their fast growing repertoire such as “Other People’s Heartaches Part One,” “Other People’s Heartaches Part Two” and “Other People’s Heartaches Part Three” which took a unique twist on other artist’s songs by covering them with a heavy upbeat tempo in soft rock kind of way. And in 2014, Bastille experienced immense success after the release of their first album that included the song “Pompeii” which was in the top five on Billboard’s Top 100 for 2014.

Now premiering their second official album, “Wild World,Bastille presents melancholic, yet pop-like tracks with massive vocals from Smith. With any amount of success comes a great amount of pressure and responsibility, and with such massive hits from their first album, the band has been open about the pressure they feel to create popular singles.

However, despite this pressure, they still managed to succeed once again in creating unique songs. “Wild World” is a blend of many genres that are reminiscent of 90s dance hits and alternative rock.

While songs like “Good Grief” may be destined for repeat on radio airwaves, it is darker themed songs like “Snakes” and “Two Evils” that really bring out more of the bands personality and show fans that they have the same vibes from their first album.

On the song “Two Evils,” front-men Smith and Farquarson opted for a more sultry rock tune with only pure vocals and plucked guitar.

Bastille completely followed through on the production of hit singles with evocative stories in songs like “Four Walls” and “Send them off!” which are really dark lyrically but upbeat and catchy musically.

Smith’s vocals are absolutely phenomenal in “Wild Life.” The control he has in his voice in one song alone is impressive, not to mention a whole album with songs ranging from deep and low to higher pitched and smooth.

Final Score: 8/10

In a world where a lot of music sounds the same, Bastille offers something different with “Wild Life.” I would recommend this album not for fans of the songs “Pompeii” and “Bad Blood” but also for those who enjoy alternative rock albums with songs that you can jump to and songs that make you think.

For a chance to hear songs off this album live, don’t miss Bastille at Red Rocks Amphitheater early next month. Go to redrocksonline.com to purchase tickets.